Five-month-old Dannielynn is brought to the home Smith and her companion shared

By Alex TresniowskiHoward BreuerJeff Truesdell and Siobhan Morrissey
Updated February 08, 2007 08:20 PM

Anna Nicole Smith’s 5-month-old daughter Dannielynn Hope is being cared for at the Bahamas home that Smith and companion Howard K. Stern shared together, PEOPLE has learned.

Smith lawyer Ron Rale said Friday that Dannielynn is now in the care of Stern’s mother and sister. (Stern is listed on Dannielynn’s birth certificate as her father.)

The baby was taken to the house Saturday afternoon, wearing a white lace headband and carried inside a basinet by two women who arrived in a caravan of vehicles, according to Godfrey Pinder, the Bahamas lawyer whose client is the original owner of the home and is involved in a property dispute with Smith and Stern.

Pinder also said that Stern was in the Bahamas as early as Thursday, the day of Anna Nicole’s death, arriving that night to pick up some of Smith’s personal items and baby items before returning to Florida.

As of Friday, Stern was still in Florida and wanted to be with the baby, Rale said, “but I don’t know exactly when he will get there.”

Dannielynn, who was born Sept. 7, was previously being cared for by the mother of Shane Gibson, a high-ranking Bahamian official and close friend of Smith’s.

Also in the Bahamas Friday: Anna Nicole’s mother, Virgie Arthur, who was spotted at police headquarters in Nassau, TV’s Extra reported. (Earlier Friday, Arthur told ABC’s Good Morning America that she blamed drugs for her daughter’s death.)

Arthur went to the Bahamas to locate Dannielynn because she “feared for her granddaughter’s safety,” the Nassau Guardian newspaper reported. Arthur went to the Ministry of Social Services, and ultimately ended up at police headquarters and met briefly with Reginald Ferguson, assistant commissioner of the Royal Bahamian Police.

“I don’t know what her expectations were, but I had to advise her to seek legal counsel to find out what course of action she can take,” Ferguson told the Associated Press.

Ferguson said Arthur was traveling by limousine and was trailed by camera crews.