American Psycho Turns 15: Celebrate with 15 Life Lessons from Patrick Bateman
Celebrate this film anniversary with some wisdom from this Christian Bale character
It’s the work week again. How did that happen?
Back to the doldrums of office life – answering phones, responding to emails, subconsciously banging your head against a wall during meeting after pointless meeting. It’s enough to drive a person crazy.
Patrick Bateman sympathizes. This well-coiffed antihero is celebrating a big anniversary during all the monotony. On Tuesday, the movie American Psycho turns 15.
Based on the Bret Easton Ellis novel of the same name, American Psycho follows the meticulously detailed day-to-day life of Bateman (Christian Bale), who, by outward appearances, seems like your normal success-driven businessman, but inside is something far more sinister.
While the movie is full of questionable and queasy acts, Bateman’s rants, musical taste and exhaustion with the 9-to-5 grind are all strangely relatable. To celebrate American Psycho‘s big birthday, I skipped over the ugly parts and boiled the movie down to the Patrick Bateman-isms every worker ought to live by.
1. Don’t let work infringe on personal responsibilities
2. Remember, face-to-face communication is always better than email or phone calls
3. Listen to music that makes you happy on your way into the office
4. A healthy body helps foster a healthy mind (but maybe not in this case)
5. Don’t be afraid to turn down unreasonable demands
6. Get rid of the toxic people in your life
8. Strive to learn something new every day
9. Never underestimate the power of a business card
10. Don’t be afraid to share your passions
11. Be honest with yourself
12. Laugh at the little things
13. When you’re stressed, dance like only Jared Leto is watching
14. Learn how to accept compliments in a calm and gracious way
15. And seriously, don’t forget about the videotapes