Alison Sweeney: What I Cook for My Kids
There are no picky eaters when The Biggest Loser host serves up her pleasing peas
When it comes to making dinner for her daughter Megan, 2, and son Ben, 5, Alison Sweeney insists, “I’m not making a different meal for my children and for myself.” So the Biggest Loser host and author of The Mommy Diet took her little girl’s love of peas and created a family favorite that’s “a little more mature and adult.”
Sweeney calls the dish “very versatile” and serves it with chicken, beef or fish. Even better? “The best compliment is they eat it and ask for more!” she says.
For more star recipes and tips, pick up PEOPLE’s Cooking with the Stars issue, on newsstands now!
Alison Sweeney’s Pleasing Peas and Bacon
Serves 4 (makes 1-cup servings)
• 1 ½lbs. fresh shelled peas or 2 (10-oz.) packages frozen peas (about 4 cups)
• 1 tbsp. canola oil
• 5 slices (about 5 oz.) bacon, diced
• 1 small sweet onion, diced (1 cup)
• 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
• ½ tsp. each salt and pepper
1. Place peas in a pot of boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove peas from water and drain.
2. Heat oil in same pot and add bacon and onion. Cook, stirring, until bacon is rendered and onions are browned, 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Add peas and broth to pot and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes, until most liquid has been absorbed.
4. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm.