Adele is not about to start editing herself.
In the wake of debuting her record-breaking video for new single "Hello" – and making people lose it on social media – the 27-year-old gave an equally cheeky and fascinating interview with Vice’s i-D.
1. She may have become Dr. Adele. After her grandmother died when she was 10, the future superstar thought she wanted to be a heart surgeon. “I wanted to fix people’s hearts,” she said. Her preparations started a year later, when Adele took biology lessons in school. However, she was soon exposed to “fun – and boys. I gave up on it. My heart wasn’t in it anymore.”
2. She starts work on each record with an old-fashioned ritual.
Hackers probably won’t find Adele’s lyrics on an iCloud somewhere. “I do it every album: I buy a new pad, sniff it – ’cause smell is important – and then I get a big, fat sharpie and write my age on the front page,” she explained. “25 has five exclamation marks after it ’cause I was like, ‘How the f— did that happen?!’ 21 to 25.”
3. Motherhood has made Adele "clear a lot of stuff the f— out."
“Becoming a parent and moving past my mid-twenties, I simply don’t have the capacity to worry about as many things that I used to really enjoy worrying about,” Adele said of giving birth to son Angelo James Konecki in October 2012. “Oh yeah, I used to f—— love the drama of all of it, but now I’m a mum I only have so much head space. I’ve got to clear a lot of stuff the f— out, which is really therapeutic, ’cause I can really hold a grudge. Life is so much easier when you don’t hoard your past.”
4. Surprise: she just might have the acting bug.
You know how Adele puts on a show in the "Hello" music video? She claimed the director, Xavier Dolan, made her do it. “He said I was quite good,” she said. “I had to cry and everything. You know what, I feel like a bit of a c— after saying for all these years I’d never act, because I really enjoyed it.”
5. "Hello" is definitely not about the ex who inspired "Someone Like You."
“Oh, god no,” she said of the relationship. “That’s over and done with, thank f—. That’s been over and done with for f—— years. No, it’s not about anyone specifically. It’s about friends, ex-boyfriends, it’s about myself, it’s about my family. It’s also about my fans as well. I feel like everyone thinks I’m so far away and I’m not. Everyone thinks I live in f—— America, I don’t.”
6. Taylor Swift and Adele have something big in common.
Adele was eating lunch with OneRepublic‘s Ryan Tedder when Swift’s “I Knew You Were Trouble” started playing. “I was like, ‘I love this song, who did this?'” Adele told Vice’s i-D. She soon found herself working with Max Martin, the hitmaker who helped Swift with several of her signature songs, including 1989 singles like “Blank Space” and “Shake It Off.” Now Martin has helped Adele craft a new song called “Send My Love To Your New Lover.” Speaking of the collaboration, Adele said, “I love it, it’s f—— sick. Straight away, a million people in my life will be like, ‘Oh s—, what have I done …'”
7. She’s thinking about what’s next – including Britney Spears.
“I’d like to tour properly,” Adele said about plans after releasing her new album. “I’d like to see Britney in Vegas. Dunno about more kids. Maybe after what Xavier said, I’ll go into acting I’d like to make another record.” Then she got deeper, saying, “I’d like to be able to stand the test of time and the speed that the world is moving. I’d like to make records forever with the time I’ve been given for this one. If I can do that I’ll be really f—— happy.”