Cakes, cookies, muffins and scones – what if I told you that all of these can be part of a healthy diet? What if I told you that you can actually lose weight while indulging in delicious baked goods?
Well, you can!
Some people prefer salty foods and love snacks like pretzels, chips and popcorn. Others, like me, have a sweet tooth and can’t help themselves from eating baked goods … especially baked goods with chocolate chips.
Well, I have good news: I’ve developed a recipe for a batter than can be used for all sorts of baked goods – from pancakes and muffins to chocolate chip cookies and pound cake.
The five core ingredients are very simple. Chances are you already have most – if not all – of the ingredients in your kitchen already.
Each of these ingredients serves a nutritional purpose:
• Egg Whites: Egg whites are an amazingly versatile high-quality protein source.
• Oats: Oats are a high-fiber grain that keep you feeling full, lower your blood pressure and decrease transit time in your colon. Feel free to replace oats or blend them with other whole grains (barley, millet, etc.).
• Bananas: Bananas are delicious, packed full of potassium, and naturally sweeten the batter.
• Greek Yogurt: Plain or fat-free Greek yogurt boasts two different protein sources, tons of calcium, vitamin D and can be lactose-free.
• Natural Peanut Butter: Natural peanut butter is a healthy alternative to old fashioned dairy butter. It’s loaded with healthy fats, protein and fiber. You can also use almond or any other nut butter you prefer.
Harley’s "Better Body" Batter
Makes 24 cookies
1 cup egg whites
2½ cups raw oats
1 medium aged banana
½ cup fat free Greek yogurt
3 tbsp. peanut butter
6 tbsp. chocolate chips (optional)
4 tsp. Splenda or maple syrup (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine ingredients and mix well. Bake for 25-35 minutes.
Nutritional Profile for Cookies (per cookie):
• Without chocolate chips: 52 calories, 1.5 grams fat, 4 grams protein, 2 grams fiber
• With chocolate chips: 69 calories, 2.5 grams fat, 4 grams protein, 2 grams fiber
Check back every Wednesday for more insider tips on Hollywood’s hottest bodies – and learn how to get one yourself! Plus: follow Harley on Twitter at @harleypasternak