A judge dismissed the dethroned Miss Puerto Rico Krithielee Caride's $3 million lawsuit claiming she was unjustly stripped of her title

By Julie Mazziotta
September 15, 2016 11:25 AM

A judge has dismissed a $3 million lawsuit brought by the dethroned Miss Puerto Rico, who claimed she was unfairly stripped of her title.

The Miss Puerto Rico organization removed 2016 winner Kristhielee Caride from her title March 17 for failing to properly interact with the media and for purposely avoiding the spotlight.

“Her dismissal as Miss Universe Puerto Rico 2016 was justified and no action to have her take back the crown will be taken, and neither will her right to represent Puerto Rico internationally in the Miss Universe pageant,” declared Superior Judge Eduardo Rebollo, according to Telemundo.

“After going over documents and testimony, we found Kristhielee had no case here because she failed to fulfill her duties as Miss Puerto Rico… as laid out in her initial contract.”

Desiree Lowry, an organizer for the Miss Puerto Rico competition, said in March that Caride’s interactions with the media were concerning.

“When I’m listening and she says, ‘I don’t like the camera,’ I say that is a big problem,” Lowry said. “Miss Puerto Rico is a public figure and part of your job is to be in front of the camera.”

While Caride apologized, the damage had already been done. She later spoke out about losing her crown.

“I can tell you I got some help because a dark depression came over me and I couldn’t eat or sleep,” Caride, 25, said March 23. “This situation has hit me very hard.”

“[I feel] betrayed by the organization because there was never a moment that I disrespected them. There wasn’t a reason for them to do what they did to me.”

Advertisement