Carrie Underwood on Being in the Best Shape of Her Life — and Getting Red Carpet-Ready for the CMAs!
The American Idol alum opens up about her workout routine while on the road with a toddler — and how she's prepping for the CMAs!
Between her showstopping concerts and chasing after a toddler, Carrie Underwood is in the best shape of her life.
“When we are on the road, my day is me doing a show, me being a mom — and those worlds colliding,” the singer says in the new issue of PEOPLE.
Since launching her 11-month Storyteller Tour in January, the American Idol alum has revved up her fitness regimen.
“My shows are intense physically, and I’m running around all over the place and singing at the same time: I need to be able to do that; I need to feel like, ‘I got this,'” says Underwood, 33, whose 20-month-old son Isaiah Michael joins her on the road. “He’s getting faster and bigger. He’s running and climbing and jumping off stuff at me!”
- For more on Carrie Underwood, pick up the new issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands everywhere Friday.
So to maintain her sleek physique, the working mom and her trainer, Eve Overland, travel with a mobile gym pulled by a Ford F-150 on tour. (“It’s my splurge!” she says.)
“We usually work out for 1.5 to two hours a day,” Underwood says. “That’s warmup and cool down. It really is time for me.”
“I have a lot of gorgeous dresses to wear. I’m still working on fittings; I need to get my hair done — Momma’s got to kick it into high gear!”
• Who should win at #CMAawards50? Record a video with your vote at burst.com/CMA50Live to be featured on PEOPLE and EW’s red carpet LIVE show, airing Wednesday, Nov. 2 at 5:30 p.m. ETon our homepages or the new People/Entertainment Weekly Network (PEN). Go to PEOPLE.com/PEN, or download the PEN app on Apple TV, Roku Players, Amazon Fire TV, Xumo, Chromecast, iOS and Android devices.
- PEOPLE’s Special Edition 50 Years of the CMA Awards is on sale now online and on newsstands.
In addition to her music and mommy duties, the star recently unveiled another collection from her Calia athletic line.
“We try to tailor these things for the busy, do-it-all ladies, myself included,” says Underwood, who showed off the duds at a Dick’s Sporting Goods grand opening in Houston last week.
And though she induces #BodyGoals every time she walks onstage or shares a snap on Instagram, the singer still indulges in a cheat day now and then.
“Hockey season is upon us,” says Underwood, whose husband Mike Fisher, 36, plays for the Nashville Predators. “I enjoy hockey season and eating junk food at the games: nachos, pizza, a glass of wine or beer!
The CMA Awards will broadcast live from Nashville on Wednesday, Nov. 2 from 8-11 p.m. EST on ABC.
- Reporting by HEATHER STABILE
- Mentalist Jason Suran Brings People Together — Virtually — for a Theatrical Experience via Zoom
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson Releases a New Boozy 'Dwanta Claus' Holiday Ice Cream Line
- Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas Spend First Thanksgiving Together: They're 'Very Happy,' Source Says
- Patrick Duffy Explains the Appeal of Lifetime Christmas Movies: 'Love Always Wins at the End'