Nominee Mark Ruffalo Confirms He'll Attend Oscars After Initially 'Weighing' Decision to Skip Amid Diversity Drama
After initially telling BBC News that the diversity controversy surrounding this year’s nominations has him “weighing” whether or not he’ll attend the annual ceremony, the Spotlight nominee later took to Twitter to confirm that he will, in fact, attend the awards show.
In a series of tweets posted Thursday, the actor says he plans to go to the Oscars but notes that “the nominations do not reflect the diversity of our community.”
Earlier, during his interview with the BBC, the actor said he was contemplating whether to attend the show. “That’s where I’m at right now,” Ruffalo, 48, explained. “I woke up in the morning thinking, ‘What is the right way to do this? Because if you look at Martin Luther King’s legacy, what he was saying was, the good people who don’t act are much worse than the people, the wrongdoers, that are purposely not acting and don’t know the right way.”
Ruffalo has joined a growing list of stars who are speaking out against the lack of diversity among this year’s Oscar nominees. So far, Will Smith and wife Jada Pinkett Smith will stay home, and director Spike Lee will instead root on his favorite NBA team.
Like others, however, the actor doesn’t place blame solely on the Academy.
“It isn’t just the Academy Awards,” Ruffalo told the BBC. “The entire American system is rife with a kind of white privileged racism that goes into our justice system.”
Ruffalo’s comments come the same day former Academy president Hawk Koch wrote in an open letter to The Hollywood Reporter that a boycott is not the solution for an “industry-wide problem.”
“While such [a boycott] shines a necessary light on the issue, now more than ever we have the responsibility to actively work together to fix the problem with concrete steps,” Koch wrote. “We must work with the Unions and the Guilds as well as schools across the country to identify and cultivate the talent of African Americans, Hispanics, Asians, women, LGBTs, the disabled and all under represented groups. And then we have to allow them access to every single aspect of filmmaking.”
Harvey told Extra on Wednesday, “I respect the boycott.”
He continued of the snub of actors of color, “Nobody? I mean that’s really, really weird. You look at the films and you come away with nobody? That’s … that’s kind of crazy.”
“You can’t dump that on him, and I think that night, I think we need Chris Rock,” Harvey told Extra. “Chris Rock is going to say something that night.”