Golden Globe Reactions: Brooke Shields Congratulates 'Tremendous' Tom Cruise
Plus: Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie react to their nominations
The Golden Globe nominations are in – and many of the new nominees are expressing their excitement, gratitude and surprise.
Some stars, like first-time nominee Kevin Connolly, were woken up by the news at 5.a.m. L.A. time. The elated Entourage actor wasn’t exactly dressed for the occasion. “I’m pacing around on my cordless phone in my underwear,” he told PEOPLE.
Brooke Shields, who rose early to help announce the nominations, was thrilled for friend Tom Cruise, who nabbed a Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy or Musical nod for his nearly-unrecognizable turn as a fat, balding movie executive in Tropic Thunder. “I’m so glad for him!” Shields told PEOPLE. “I think it’s ironic, all the work that he does [and] that’s what he gets nominated for. I think he’s done tremendous work so I think he’s probably chuckling about it too.”
• “I am honored to be nominated by the Hollywood Foreign Press in a category with so many extraordinary women. What an amazing experience, having the opportunity to work with Clint Eastwood on a film I care so deeply about.” – Angelina Jolie, Best Actress in a Drama for Changeling
• “I am pleased to be nominated for this award and would like to also congratulate David, Eric and Alexandre on their nominations. We’re all very proud of the film and thankful to the Hollywood Foreign Press for recognizing our work.” – Brad Pitt, Best Actor in a Drama for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
• “Honestly, I had no clue that these things were today. I was in dead sleep. I heard voices on my answering machine. I thought ‘That’s weird, somebody is yelling in my answering machine at 5:30 in the morning.’ . . . It’s crazy! I called my mom and she’s screaming. My mom is excited because I’m going to take her as my date.” – Kevin Connolly, Best Actor in a Television Comedy or Musical for Entourage, to PEOPLE
• “I am so honored to be nominated by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association for Doubt along with John Patrick Shanley, Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Viola Davis. Helping to bring John’s Pulitzer Prize-winning play to the screen was one of the most rewarding experiences of my career.” – Amy Adams, Best Supporting Actress for Doubt
For more reactions from Diddy and other stars, go to the next page.
• “I am thrilled and humbled to be nominated among all of these amazing actors. ‘Henry’ is such a great character to play and I am so happy that people watch and enjoy the show.” – Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Best Actor in a Television Drama for The Tudors
• “I was told by my Mum. She texted me, actually. She’s sort of linked up to some hyper-efficient Google alert system and she knew minutes before anyone else. She couldn’t quite believe and I didn’t believe her either. I thought she was on the wave of some fantasy. I didn’t believe it until I got the official nomination.” – Sally Hawkins, Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical for Happy Go Lucky, to PEOPLE
• “I really did not think it could get any better. First, an Emmy nomination and now a Golden Globe. This is an incredible honor – a dream come true.” – Diddy, whose film A Raisin in the Sun was nominated for Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
• “Playing April Wheeler and Hannah Schmitz, two strong and complex characters was a true gift. To be recognized by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association for both performances is a genuine honor and I am incredibly grateful. I am forever thankful to my husband Sam Mendes, Leo and fellow cast members and for Justin’s beautiful script. I am equally proud to share this day with Stephen Daldry and David Hare.” – Double nominee Kate Winslet on her Best Actress Drama nomination for Revolutionary Road and Best Supporting Actress nod for The Reader
• “I’m deeply honored and excited by the nomination. And, call me crazy, but I’d like to think I have a real shot at taking home – Wait Piven’s not in this category, is he? Crap.” – Neil Patrick Harris, Best Performance By Supporting Actor in Television comedy for How I Met Your Mother
• “Dustin and I had the best time making this film. It seems insane to get an award nomination on top of that, but I’m thrilled.” – Emma Thompson, Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical for Last Chance Harvey
• “It is so exciting to be nominated, but working with Emma was reward enough. Don’t get me wrong, I still want to win!” – Dustin Hoffman, Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical for Last Chance Harvey
• “I am really thrilled! I guess I should dress up more. Maybe Chanel could do a couture line for seniors?” – Shirley MacLaine, Best Actress in a Miniseries or Television Movie, Coco Chanel
• “I am absolutely thrilled and cannot be happier that The Wrestler has been given so much attention. It is such an honor for the HFPA to have recognized my work and Mickey’s in this beautiful film.” – Marisa Tomei, Best Supporting Actress for The Wrestler
• “When I got a phone call early this morning, my heart dropped because I thought my nanny was calling in sick!!! I am so thrilled! It is a joy to go to work everyday and this is the icing on the cake. Congratulations to Sally [Field]!” – Rachel Griffiths, Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television for Brothers and Sisters
The 66th Annual Golden Globe Awards will be broadcast Jan. 11 from the Beverly Hilton at 8 p.m. ET on NBC.
Reporting by LISA INGRASSIA, EUNICE OH and BRENDA RODRIGUEZ