SPRING’S TOP TRENDS
What’s new? Stripes, bright colors, florals and more warmer-weather styles to try right now
1 FUN STRIPES
ADD A SOPHISTICATED, SPORTY TWIST TO YOUR FAVORITE SOLIDS
Model Miranda Kerr keeps the look modern by pairing her striped dress with a solid blazer.
Striped pieces “evoke a French 1960s vibe,” says Stacy London of styles similar to Taylor Swift’s Zara ensemble.
Scoop-neck tee, $8.50; oldnavy.com
Isabel Toledo for Payless
Striped Vespadrille, $59.99; payless.com
Shaka Lanyard bracelet (purple & white), $25, and Shaka Wrap Around bracelets, $42; noirjewelry.com
STACY LONDON OF TLC’S WHAT NOT TO WEAR TALKS STRIPES
Learn Your Lines
• Vertical stripes force the eye to go up and down, making you appear longer and leaner.
• Horizontal stripes make you look curvier.
• Subtle pinstripes look solid from a distance.
• Good news! Stripes never go out of style and are universally age-appropriate.
2 WHITE SHIRTS
CRISP AND CLEAN YET NEVER BORING, THIS STYLE STAPLE IS BACK!
HIDDEN BUTTONS = NO GAPS!
The Shirt by Rochelle Behrens
Tie in a Bow cotton-blend shirt, $88; the-shirt.com
Jones New York Collection
No-Iron Easy Care cotton shirt, $69; Macy’s stores nationwide
MARISSA WEBB OF J.CREW SHARES STYLE ADVICE
Give Your Whites a New Twist
• Leave a few buttons and the cuffs undone.
• Add bangles or a statement necklace.
• With a high-waisted bottom, tuck shirt in.
• Try a half tuck—front in, back out— with casual pants.
Layer a simple white tank under sheer white shirts, suggests Marissa Webb, who prefers V-neck camis minus any lace.
Tuxedo stripe silk-cotton- blend shirt, $89.50; jcrew.com for stores
3 BRIGHT COLORS
HUES ARE HOT—IT’S UP TO YOU TO DECIDE HOW FAR TO GO
The starlet mixes vivid colors in this head-to-toe Gucci ensemble.
MIX AND MATCH THE FACES!
Slapper watches, $50 each; tkowatches.com
Invest in a pink top. Deborah Lloyd says, “Pink looks good on most people. It can warm up the face and brighten any look.”
Layered tank top, $39; select Urban Outfitters stores
Open circle tote, $39; ninewest.com
INSTANT GLAM BOOST!
Jeweled bangles, $24 each; shoprumor.com
DEBORAH LLOYD OF KATE SPADE COLORS YOUR WORLD
Get into the Mind-set
Creative Director Lloyd says to forget your preconceived notions of what looks good on you and try everything. The right tone will make your face brighten.
• Try a bright red lipstick or bright pink nail polish.
• Wear a bright shoe with a neutral outfit.
• Pile on bright accessories.
• Buy a bright pink bag.
Mix and Match
• Add a pop of neon color to neutrals and creams.
• Balance a multicolored outfit with a solid shoe.
• Be bold! Mix contrasting colors in unexpected ways.
FIGURE FLATTERING SHAPE
Maxi dress, $59.95; hm.com for stores
Larabee Dot Stacy wallet, $95; katespade.com
Mercer Street Holly card holder, $50; katespade.com
Cigarette jeans, $58; urbanoutfitters.com
GREAT WITH FLATS OR HEELS
Ellingwood wedge, $70; aldoshoes.com for info
MODERN PREPPY FEEL
Leisure shirt, $32; americanapparel.net
The Oscar winner packs a punch in this Roland Mouret violet mini.
The star shines in a two-tone dress from J. Mendel. With minimal accessories, the color remains the focus.
4 TROUSER JEANS
HIGHER-WAISTED AND TAILORED, THEY GO FROM WORK TO WEEKEND
DARKER DENIM IS DRESSY
Paige Premium Denim
Roxley jeans, $179; paigeusa.com
PLEATS ADD POLISH
Wide-leg jeans, $79.50; 800-GAPSTYLE
A LIGHT WASH SAYS BOHO
Stretch and flare jeans, $24.80; forever21.com
Try pairing a blouse and heels with your trouser jeans, like Kourtney did in this “Georgia” 7 For All Mankind pair.
PAIGE ADAMS-GELLER OF PAIGE PREMIUM DENIM EXPLAINS THE LOOK
Where Can They Go?
Almost anywhere, from day to night, to the beach or a fancy dinner. Darker washes can be worn like dress pants.
Who Can Wear Them?
Trouser jeans flatter most body types because the wide leg balances the hips. On petite girls heels are a must!
Working the Look
• Tuck in a silk blouse or classic white shirt.
• Pair with sexy platforms, wedges or peep-toe pumps.
5 PRETTY FLORALS
NOT YOUR GRANDMA’S FLOWERS: THESE BUDS ARE BOLD AND GRAPHIC
TRY FLORAL JEWELRY
Flowered toggle bracelet, $35; springstreetdesign.com
Swimsuit model Brooklyn Decker shows a sweet side in a Dolce & Gabbana dress.
Frock! by Tracy Reese
Zelda dress in poppy floral, $228; 212-807-0505
Mar Y Sol
Guadeloupe tote, $89; shopmarysol.com
PERFECT WITH JEANS
Poppy tee, $49.97; langstons.com
Pansy blooms skirt, $69.50; loft.com for stores
Smooch thong, $85; bornshoes.com
DESIGNER TRACY REESE HARNESSES THE POWER OF FLOWERS
Buy a Floral Dress
“A great floral dress just makes a statement,” says the designer. “It says it all in one piece and gives a bigger canvas to the floral pattern itself.”
Step out in a vibrant floral. Avoid soft pastel prints that look like grandma patterns or an old chintz couch. Bold colors and graphic florals are flattering and right now.
To avoid overload, wear flowers with something boyish like a denim jacket. Chains or studded accessories also offset the sugary, sweet look of a floral print.
MORE BOHO THAN BIG LOVE, LONG HEMLINES ARE HOT—AND VERSATILE
“When wearing a printed maxi, keep the top neutral,” says Pamella Protzel, like Akerman’s Ralph Lauren Collection skirt and Double RL tank.
Montana maxi, $138; ellamoss.com
Tribal maxi; forever21.com
Floral maxi, $49; select Macy’s stores
ELLA MOSS DESIGNER PAMELLA PROTZEL GIVES THE LONG VIEW
Flatter Your Figure
• It should be slim at the waist, flared at the hem.
• Wear it with a tucked-in blouse or tank. Or layer with a long tank and cropped sweatshirt.
Wear It to Work
• Accessorize with a belt.
• Add a cardigan or a blazer that’s cinched at the waist.
• Wear classic jewelry.
• A great pair of wedges creates a little height.
Wear It at Night
• Pair with a cropped leather jacket. A shrunken jacket is modern and cool.
• Wear a statement necklace. A little sparkle creates an evening look.
7 ANIMAL PRINTS
GO A LITTLE WILD—THIS LOOK NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE
Curations with Stefani Greenfield
Snake cuff, $49.95 each; hsn.com
WEAR WITH A TANK
Leopard print mini, $39.50; victoriassecret.com
ADD A LITTLE SNAKE-SKIN
La Mer Collections
Cobra simple wrap watch, $90; lamercollections.com
GET A HANDLE ON THE TREND
Canvas tote, $178; anntaylor.com
Wicker snake espadrille wedges, $135; topshop.com
Zoë Saldana ruled the red carpet in a Dolce & Gabbana dress.
CELEBRITY STYLIST ROBERT VERDI HELPS NAVIGATE THE JUNGLE
Tame Your Wardrobe
• Accessories pack a wallop. Try leopard, cheetah or zebra scarves, shoes and belts.
• Tone down the roar of an animal-print dress with a solid jacket or cardigan.
• Avoid animal prints in unnatural colors like hot pink, green, yellow or orange.