Adorned with flirtatious details like petticoats, sashes and jewels, these bewitching little black dresses cast a spell
LUCY LIU in Versace at a party in Milan.
MOLLY SIMS in Escada Couture at a party in L.A.
ZOE SALDANA in Alvin Valley at a club opening in Atlantic City.
REESE WITHERSPOON in Dolce & Gabbana at a concert in L.A.
Behind the Seams
- WINNER’S CIRCLE
- She plays a Shopgirl, but Claire Danes looked more like the elegant, well-to-do client in Dior by John Galliano at the film’s London premiere.
IN HER JEANS: Her character on Desperate Housewives lives in the suburbs, but Teri Hatcher has gone country. The actress, along with Hilary Duff, is a big fan of Ranahan’s western-inspired jeans. Dark-rinsed, with button-flap back pockets, embroidery and vintage-inspired rivets, Ranahans have a hidden pocket sewn inside the cuff for lipstick—the slick city girl’s weapon of choice….
Ranahan Jeans, $172; http://www.bluebeeonline.com
- LUCKY DOG: Jeweler to the stars Lorraine Schwartz threw Motek, her 1-year-old Yorkie pup, a birthday party, and all his canine friends walked away with a pretty sweet, er, doggie bag. Made by fill-r-up, the gift sacks contained a dog-bone picture frame, monogrammed robe, dog biscuits, tennis balls and a toy. Diddy’s pups Sophie and Cha Cha attended the shindig, as did Munch, who belongs to Beyoncé. It should happen to a dog….
- Gift baskets by fill-r-up, $25-$500; http://www.fill-r-up.com
Trend of the Week
Read all about it! Today’s topper story: Celebs are finishing off their fall fashion statements with a bigger, roomier version of this traditional boyish cap. Whether the hats are in leather like Elle Macpherson’s, velvet like Marcia Cross’s, pinstripe like Lucy Liu‘s or worn jauntily over one eye like Sienna Miller‘s, the headline should read: Toasty Warm and Stylish Too!
- Heart’s Desire
- Mia & Kompany’s new Baby Heart necklace is clearly an object of affection in Hollywood. Actresses like Jessica Alba, Reese Wither-spoon and Jennifer Love Hewitt have snapped up the piece, which features tiny hearts spaced along the length of the 14-karat-gold chain. Who says you can’t buy love?
- 7TH HEAVEN
- A sample sale of major designers’ clothing without all the shoving? It’s a fashionista fantasy—and it’s about to come true. The huge annual 7TH on Sale fund-raiser (sponsored by the CFDA, Vogue, eBay, Kenneth Cole, Ralph Lauren and Dolce & Gabbana) is normally held in N.Y.C. but will be online this year. Marc Jacobs, Donna Karan, Michael Kors and other red-carpet labels worn by Jennifer Lopez, Teri Hatcher and Jessica Simpson will be available at http://www.ebay.com/7thonsale from Nov. 10-Dec. 7, with proceeds going to the fight against HIV/AIDS.
HOT NEW INGREDIENT
It’s not just for trendy cocktails anymore. Pomegranate is migrating from dining table to vanity, showing up in a slew of skin and fragrance products launched in the last six months. A symbol of fertility and prosperity, the fruit has a spicy scent that perfumer Jo Malone loves for its “sensuality.” But dermatologists say what makes pom the bomb are its powerful antioxidant properties, which promote cell functioning.
FORD’S NEW MODEL
Renowned designer Tom Ford (pictured at left) is known for making classic brands sexy. He updated YSL’s “Le Smoking” tuxedo and now he’s using what he calls “a fresh, slightly provocative eye” to create beauty products based on vintage Estée Lauder pieces. The first Tom Ford Estée Lauder offerings have just hit stores, but they won’t be here long—all but the Youth-Dew Amber Nude scent are limited edition. Of the only 700 minaudières that were produced, 20 were reserved for celebs such as Gwyneth Paltrow and Sienna Miller.
Tom Ford Estèe Lauder minaudière, $550, including The Face powder ($50 when sold separately) and The Lip Polish, $35. Youth Dew Amber Nude, $65; http://www.saksfifthavenue.com