Sexy celebs work the right angles with geometric cutouts that highlight shoulders, décolletage—and even ankles
Zhang Ziyi, in Emporio Armani, at a premiere in Los Angeles.
Fantasia Barrino at a Los Angeles awards show.
Alicia Silverstone, in Moschino, at an awards ceremony in L.A.
Elizabeth Hurley, in Versace, at a party in New York City.
Behind the Seams
The gold standard in elegance? Cate Blanchett in a brocade dress by London designer Marchesa, looking like a Roman goddess at The Aviator premiere in Italy.
- TWO CUTE:
- Talk about teeny bikinis! Kelly Ripa wore a turquoise-studded two-piece on her holiday trip to Nevis, but the real itsy bitsy number was the matching mini-me suit she brought for daughter Lola Grace. While there, Ripa picked up a second matched set of swimwear and cover-ups (white with mirror trim) from INCA’s “Mommy and Me” line. But we have one question: What was dad Mark Consuelos wearing? …
- OLD NEWS:
- What’s better—vintage jewelry or the hottest new design? Stylesetter Heather Locklear got both when she purchased these gold earrings from up-and-coming L.A. designer Natalie B., who takes vintage gold pieces and crafts them into new looks featuring exotic gemstones. After all, Heather looks great in reruns….
- Natalie B. gold and gemstone earrings, $135; at Jennifer Kaufman, 310-854-1058
- HIGH BLOTTAGE:
- Not all stars want to shine all the time. At last year’s Independent Spirit Awards, Naomi Watts told Christian Dior reps that she longed for a chic compact to hold her blotting papers, one that would fit in a dainty evening. Her wish was their command; this year Dior is sending black compacts to certain stylish celebs in time for red-carpet season and passing out logo-ed ones at the Indie Spirits. Neither of the compacts are on sale—yet—but a version for mere mortals may be in the works….
Even in Hollywood, a bargain’s a bargain. At a Women in Film/GM event last week, Nia Vardalos sported a trendy look—for a tiny price. Her black satin ensemble was from Banana Republic. As for the shrug, “I got this little jacket on Melrose,” she confided. “These are going to be in for a season; next week my sister’s going to be grabbing it out of my closet. So I thought I’d get something fun, cheap and trendy.” After all, savvy shoppers like to save up for big, fat wardrobe classics.
- The Message Tee
- Their tees did the talking: Paris’s offered advice ($40; http://www.stevemadden.com ); Lindsay mouthed off ($38; http://www.shopkitson.com).
- The Crystal Cell
- To phone homeys, the pair reach for pink-studded T-Mobile Sidekick IIs adorned by NYC Peach ($395 to stud; http://www.nycpeach.com).
- The Archie Sweater
- Lindsay’s top asks, “Are you a Veronica?” ($345). Clearly, Paris is; hers says, “I saw him first!” ($495; http://www.shopkitson.com).
- The Suede Boots
- After Lindsay bought her tan Mukluks, Paris purchased them in several colors, including white, which Lindsay then snapped up ($395; http://www.shopkitson.com).