Celebs give us a new razzle-dazzle: a dainty dose of sparkle that turns a muted ensemble into one that shines
Claudia Schiffer, in Stella McCartney, at an event in Spain.
Beyoncé, out and about in New York City.
Julie Delpy, in Prada, at the Prada store opening in L.A.
Christina Applegate, in Blumarine, at an awards show in Los Angeles.
Behind the Seams
Claire Danes, in a sophisticated cotton and cashmere Narciso Rodriguez sheath, role-played to perfection at the London premiere of her new film Stage Beauty.
WHAT’S IN A NAMEPLATE?:
Sarah Jessica Parker isn’t afraid to stick her neck out for her favorite presidential candidate—John Kerry. The actress, once famous for her Carrie nameplate necklace on Sex and the City, is now known for wearing her support for the Dem hopeful. Get it? Carrie—Kerry. They sound alike, but we’re guessing one of them looks a lot better in a pair of Manolo Blahniks….
14-karat gold Kerry necklace by Lena Wald, $240; http://www.shopintuition.com
Poor mascara, the black (or brown) sheep of the makeup bag. You open the tube, layer it on and you’re done. Where’s the intrigue? The drama? Leave it to Jessica Simpson to find one mascara that’s got it going on. Bourjois’s new Mascara Accessories collection is a wand that comes with attachments to create a variety of looks. “They’re cute and fun,” says Simpson. “I love the way the wet look one makes my eyelashes look shiny.”…
Bourjois Mascara Accessories, $13 wand, $7.50 each attachment; http://www.sephora.com
- DIOR PRIZE:
- Charlize Theron must adore Dior’s fragrance J’adore—it’s the first product she’s endorsed stateside.The Oscar-winner spent four days in L.A. shooting the print and TV ads (out in October and early 2005, respectively). After two hours of hair and makeup, Theron, whose mom popped by to say hello, was wrapped in a silk sheet from Paris that took weeks to dye the perfect shade of J’adore gold….
A sneak peek at Charlize Theron in her Dior ad.
- DIAMONDS NEAR THE SOLES OF HIS SHOES:
- This month is the debut of Ice Cream, hip-hop hotshot Pharrell Williams’s line of shoes from Reebok, and he has already sent a slew to his famous friends including Ashton Kutcher and Leonardo DiCaprio. The first run of limited-edition sneakers (only 3,000 were made) features diamonds and dollar signs, but newer designs include pagers, dice and radios. “To wear these sneakers,” advises Williams, “you need your own sense of style and to not be interested in conforming.”
Ice Cream sneakers available end of Sept., $225; http://www.reebok.com
Trend of the Week
The hottest heel in Hollywood (and in every fall fashion report) is the round-toe pump; it’s retro but with a lot of height. The most popular is the two-toned spectator style, but stars aren’t watching them from the sidelines. Eva Mendes, Lucy Liu and Mischa Barton are already wearing theirs out with outfits both sexy and sedate. Chloë Sevigny pairs hers with pants. And don’t these look more comfortable than their dagger-toed stiletto sisters?
- WORD TO THE GUYS
- Everyone knows Paris Hilton has split with boyfriend Nick Carter, but she’s not exactly crying into her pillow—she’s advertising with her attire. Her Don’t Be Jealous tee could be a message to her various new beaus, while her custom-made Lee Riot necklace assures a steady stream.
- Déjà New
- Who knew Rebecca Romijn-Stamos and Farrah Fawcett share the same Jordache jean pool? Romijn-Stamos and Britney Spears are wearing the newly launched version of the jeans once favored by the Charlie’s Angels, now available in different washes and fits to commemorate the label’s 25th anniversary. But do they have to lie down to zip them up?
Vintage-wash Jordache jeans, $130; 800-558-1855.