- ROCK & ROLE MODELS
- Eve’s studded leather handbag notwithstanding, the best accessory at the VH1/Vogue Fashion Awards 2002 was a dashing date. The Ring’s Naomi Watts brought beau Heath Ledger. Cate Blanchett arrived on the arm of designer of the year winner Tom Ford. And New York Giants football star Jason Sehorn offered moral support to his wife, actress Angie Harmon—but less help wrangling the spectacular, flowing silk coat she wore over her corseted minidress. “He only [carried my train] once, on our wedding night,” Harmon says with a laugh, “and he said he would never do it again.” So how did Harmon hold together the ensemble she spent two hours getting just right? “Prayer!” she says.
Dressing Miss Messing
With multiple dress changes—and different hairdos to match—host Debra Messing put on her own runway show of spring fashions. “She’s always dreamt of being a model,” says stylist Kim Meehan, who helped the actress dress for the event, “and this is her dream come true.”
What They Were Wearing: The Glamor and the Glitz
Rapper Eve wore D Squared head-to-toe. “They put mink in the shoes!” she says.
Natalie Portman, the muse of designer Zac Posen, looked red hot in his ’40s-inspired dress.
Presenter Naomi Campbell strutted her stuff in a silver Dolce & Gabbana micromini.
behind the seams
Cleaning up at the VH1/Vogue Fashion Awards, held Oct. 15 at Manhattan’s Radio City Music Hall, were Break-through Style Award winner Eve, Most Influential Artist honoree Jennifer Lopez and Model of the Year Karolina Kurkova, all of whom sashayed away with a 1-carat, $10, 000 diamond pendant custom-designed with each winner in mind. The show’s host, Debra Messing, didn’t do badly either. The star nabbed complete goodie bags from both Vogue and VH1. By the way, Deb, don’t be disappointed when you find a bottle of Courvoisier among the lower-priced giveaways. Along with the libation comes an invitation for two to fly to the spirit-maker’s château in France for a tasting. Call it haute couture cognac….
The It Boy of the afterparty at the Hudson Hotel was none other than the show’s winning designer, Tom Ford, who was flanked on a sofa by Messing and Cate Blanchett, while Heather Graham jockeyed for a spot nearby. No surprise. As any true glamor girl knows, a superstar designer (who can keep her in glad rags) is worth more than a dozen playboys.
Vogue Goodie Bag
1. Kate Spade—travel tote, cashmere blanket, pillow and travel products $1,000
- 2. Gift basket, including:
- Courvoisier—XO bottle and trip for two to Jarnac, France $4,000+
- Redken—Hair products $500
- Moët & Chandon-one night at the Moët Villa and two bottles of champagne $2,000
- TSE—cashmere hoodie $650
- Elizabeth Arden—beauty products $550
- Ugg—shoe/boot gift certificate $500
3. Aqua Di Parma—leather tote bag and fragrances $950
Approx. total value: $10, 150+
VH1 Goodie Bag
1. Gutzees Mink Accessories $430
2. Zino Platinum-Crown Series cigars $117
3. Armand Diradourian “I love NYC” cashmere sweater and hat $500
- 4. Red Lips cards by Smythson of Bond Street $35 Plus:
- Graff diamond pendant approx. $10,000
- Jo Malone Luxury Fragrance Collection $500
- Slatkin & Co. Limited Edition Elton John candle $300 Approx. total value: $11,882+
Clad in matching slinky gowns, Maya Rudolph and Donatella Versace, whom Rudolph spoofs on Saturday Night Live, got into a fashion face-off. “You look fabulous,” Versace said. Replied Rudolph: “I’ve always wanted to hear myself tell myself that.”