- PARIS, OCT. 7
- Gwyneth Paltrow leads the cheering squad for her friend Stella McCartney at the designer’s spring-summer fashion show. Turns out the actress had more to applaud than the clothes: McCartney revealed to pals at the show that she and her husband, Alasdhair Willis, are expecting their first child. (See page 89.)
NEW YORK CITY, OCT. 5
Though intensely private about her five-month-old marriage, Jennifer Lopez indulges in a little PDA with husband Marc Anthony at the afterparty at Branch for her romantic comedy Shall We Dance? Security guards later cleared room on the dance floor so the couple could groove to Beyoncé’s “Crazy in Love” and other hip-hop hits.
Look who’s talking! A very casually clad Kirstie Alley snacks on low-cal treats while lounging around with pal John Travolta on the set of her comedy-reality show Fat Actress. Travolta appears as himself on the series, premiering on Showtime in March.
- LONDON, OCT, 7
- A backpack-toting Jude Law looks more like a rakish college student than a movie star as he bikes home from school with his 8-year-old son Rafferty.
GEORGE: FROM GORGEOUS TO GORGED!
THEN: July 8, 2004
Clooney may look weathered and scruffy, but he hasn’t changed his prank-loving ways. The actor breaks up the serious atmosphere on the set of Syriana by throwing chunks of bread at his costar Matt Damon (who was happy to return the favor). Next up for the globe-trotting costars: filming in Switzerland.
NOW: Oct. 6,2004
Looking nothing like the svelte hunk who filmed Ocean’s Twelve just three months ago (far left), George Clooney showed off a full-figured new look on the African set of his upcoming drama Syriana. In order to play the role of Robert Baer, a real-life CIA agent who served as a liaison in the Middle East during the first Gulf War, Clooney packed on 30 lbs. (thanks to a pasta-heavy diet) and sprouted a full beard. But living large isn’t all fun. Last month Clooney admitted to pals that he didn’t enjoy overeating and was already talking about working off the extra weight once the shoot wraps.
THE NEWLYWED LIFE: BRITNEY AND KEVIN OCT.6 & 9
- MALIBU, 0CT. 9
- Two days after filing her marriage license, a domestically minded Britney Spears goes gaga for a pattern at Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic, a fabric and home-decorating shop.
- STUDIO CITY, CALIF., OCT. 6
- Kevin Federline, sporting dangerously low-slung shorts, tees off with a pal at a golf course in the San Fernando Valley.
BOSTON, OCT. 8
Survivor sweethearts Rob Mariano and Amber Brkich take to the runway at a Tommy Hilfiger show. “They thought it would be fun to be models for a day,” says a rep for the couple.
PARADISE ISLAND, BAHAMAS, OCT. 10
Serena Williams poses with her close friend, director Brett Ratner (right), and actor Woody Harrelson at an After the Sunset party at the Atlantis resort, where Ratner and Harrelson filmed the caper comedy.
- LOS ANGELES, OCT. 6
- Former Friends Courteney Cox Arquette and Lisa Kudrow catch up at Ford’s Get Tied to the Cause luncheon, which raised $100,000 for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. As for their costars, Kudrow says, “We’re planning on getting the whole cast together for a dinner or something soon.”
- PARIS, OCT. 8
- Sleekly chic in a Chanel jacket, Nicole Kidman greets fans outside the Ritz hotel while on her way to the Chanel spring-summer 2005 fashion show. As an homage to the Aussie actress—the new face of Chanel No. 5 perfume—the runway show featured a Moulin Rouge theme.
LOS ANGELES, OCT. 2
Sitcom star Katey Sagal gets married—yes, with children—to Kurt Sutter, a writer and producer for The Shield. “The ceremony was very homey,” says Sagal, who was joined by her daughter Sarah, 10, and son Jackson, 8, from a previous marriage. “I got everything I ever wanted—even a disco ball!”
- LOS ANGELES & TORONTO, OCT. 7
- Despite flying cross-country only hours earlier to be with his girlfriend Cameron Diaz, Justin Timberlake shows no signs of jet lag as the couple attend the City of Hope benefit dinner, which raised $2.3 million for various charities. It was a busy day for the singer: Earlier that morning (right), Timberlake worked on his game against a group of surprised eighth graders at a basketball workshop at Toronto’s Harbourfront Community Centre.
- SANTA MONICA, OCT. 7
- Showing off his foot-eye coordination, soccer dad Tom Cruise kicks back with his 9-year-old son Connor at a local park.