BABY BACK RIBS
Makes: 8 servings
Hands-on time: 25 min. Total time: 4 hrs., 5 min. (plus 8 hrs. to soak wood chips)
8 oz. hickory chips
2 tbsp. each dark brown sugar and paprika
2½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. each ground pepper, cumin, coriander, garlic powder and onion powder
½ — 1 tsp. ground red pepper
4 slabs baby back ribs (about 10 lbs.)
Sweet barbecue sauce
1. Soak hickory chips in water overnight. Drain; place half of chips in a small metal pan; reserve remaining chips.
2. Combine brown sugar, paprika and next 7 ingredients in small bowl. Remove the thin membrane from the back of ribs. Season ribs with spice mixture; let stand 30 minutes.
3. Lightly grease grill rack. Turn grill on high. Place pan with chips over flame at one end of grill; close grill lid for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 225° (low).
4. Arrange ribs on rack at end of grill away from chips; turn off burners beneath ribs. Grill at 225º (low heat), covered, for 30 minutes. Add reserved chips to pan. Cook ribs 2½ to 3 hours or until rib bones yield to gentle pressure.
5. Remove ribs from grill. Remove wood chips. Turn all burners to 350° to 400° (medium-high heat); close grill lid.
6. Brush ribs with 1 cup barbecue sauce and cook, covered, 3 to 4 minutes or until ribs are caramelized. Remove from heat; let rest 10 minutes. Serve with additional sauce.
OVEN VARIATION: Prepare ribs as directed in step 2. Bake in preheated oven at 300° for 3 to 3½ hours or until bones yield to gentle pressure. Increase oven temperature to 400º, then proceed with step 6.