By People Staff
December 28, 1987 12:00 PM

More than a year ago anthropologist Ken Good (PEOPLE, Jan. 19) emerged from the Amazonian forests of Venezuela with Yarima, his pregnant, 19-year-old Yanomamo Indian bride. Yarima, who’d had little contact with civilization, suddenly found herself forced to cope with life in a Philadelphia suburb. Among other things, she discovered that she liked McDonald’s french fries (unsalted) but that North American tarantulas, even when roasted, couldn’t compare with those available back home. Yarima also discovered that she missed her people very much.

UPDATE: In November, equipped with $10,000 worth of survival supplies, including $1,200 worth of antivenin for snakebite and 10,000 fishhooks for use as gifts, the Goods returned to the Venezuelan jungle for three months. “We’re risking our lives going back in unannounced,” said Good, 45. “Anything could have happened—raids, diseases, deaths—you never know what you’ll find. But we had to go back, at least for a few months. Yarima was getting too depressed here, and she was desperate to see her people.”

She was not thrilled, however, at the prospect of leaving behind such favorites as Kentucky Fried Chicken, the music of Whitney Houston and tennis shoes. “My legs are so weak, my feet so soft,” she noted (with Good translating). “It’s going to be hard to go barefoot again, hard to carry my baby [David, now 14 months old and 25 lbs.].” Good, who recently sold film rights to the couple’s story, says he’s “anxious to hear how she’ll explain our world to her people. She has lived in wonder for months. How will she describe an airplane, a telephone, shopping at Macy’s?”

Growing six Inches during his college years helped Annapolis basketball star David Robinson set 33 school records and become the dominant college player in the country (Feb. 23). At 7’1″, he also became too tall (by seven inches) for sea duty. Perhaps valuing his potential as a recruiting poster more than as an ensign, former Navy Secretary John Lehman reduced Robinson’s five-year active-duty obligation to two, thus leaving him free to sail into the pros in 1989.

UPDATE: The woeful San Antonio Spurs chose Robinson in the first round of this year’s National Basketball Association draft and anchored the dreadnought with an eight-year, $26-million contract. Now stationed at a submarine base in Georgia, where he is a civil engineer, Robinson has few illusions about the battles that await him when he hits the courts in two years. “I know it won’t be a cakewalk,” he admits. “I do a lot of praying.”

That TV ad featuring clay creatures singing “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” (March 9) not only boosted California raisin sales but also the fortunes of its 40-year-old creator, Will Vinton.

UPDATE: Besides A Claymation Christmas Celebration, on CBS Dec. 21, and TV ads for take-out pizza and fried chicken, Vinton will display his newest feats of clay in an upcoming Michael Jackson video, a half-hour prime-time comedy pilot now in development and an all-raisin TV special planned for this fall. “Most people would say, ‘Are you kidding? Make a living at that?’ ” says Vinton at his spacious new studio in Portland, Ore., where the staff has grown from 24 to 55. “It’s great fun. We count our blessings.”

Twenty years ago and more, model and international butterfly Ivy Nicholson (Feb. 16) dined with pal Andy Warhol and graced the covers of Vogue and Elle, After that, Nicholson—who ’60s socialite Baby Jane Holzer once described as “a pretty misguided missile”—began to careen out of control. By last winter she was living on the streets of San Francisco, trying to care for her twins, Gunther and Penelope, 21, and fantasizing about a comeback.

UPDATE: Ivy and Penelope (Gunther was recently committed to a mental hospital) are now living in a small apartment partly subsidized by an agent, Lisle Taaje, who is arranging for a book to be written about the former model’s descent from haute couture. Nicholson, 53, is optimistic about her dream of a singing career. “My friends keep pulling me in the right direction,” she says. “I have a key to my own place now. I can let in who I want, cook meals and take baths when I want. It’s easier to get yourself together when you have an apartment.”

Last summer, 15-year-old singer Tiffany (her last name is Darwisch, but don’t tell) went on a solo tour of 14 shopping centers to promote her debut album, Tiffany, and first single, “I Think We’re Alone Now,” a song about making out (Sept. 14). The Tiffany Mall Tour ’87 proved a smash—a certified bubble-gummer hitting her fans where they live, totally.

UPDATE: Tiffany, who turned 16 in October, isn’t hanging out at malls so much since her album went gold and Alone knocked Michael Jackson from the top of Billboard’s Hot 100 singles chart in November. Like, play the mall when you’re Top Gum? Get real. “It hasn’t hit me yet,” says Tiffany, a sophomore at a Norwalk, Calif., Christian school. “I pinch myself daily.” Between weekend club gigs, Tiffany finds time for homework, power shopping and prepping her next LP (“I write a lyric, but when I reread it, I think it’s awful and either hide it or crumple it up”). So far, stardom’s scariest moment came on The Tonight Show. “The whole time,” says Tiffany, “all I could think was, ‘Please, God, don’t let me say anything dorky.’ ”

Patricia McGarry Harleman, 40, a housewife and Junior Leaguer from Mill Valley, Calif., abandoned the hearth last summer and adopted a new persona as Bebe Gunn, a glitzoid punk rocker (Oct. 12). Mom’s erotic gyrations mortified her three children, but her husband, public relations executive Peter Harleman, 46, stood by his woman.

UPDATE: The Harlemans are getting divorced. “I asked for some space and Peter told me to get out,” says Bebe Gunn. Peter says she walked out and he wants her back. Bebe has written a song, Fallen Woman, about her predicament, and is miffed that her soon-to-be ex-husband and children won’t give permission for a film to be made about the family.

Artist Stephen Boggs, 32, hit upon a novel way to make big money—really big money (March 2). The American-born London resident literally drew cash as he needed it, in pen and ink and larger than life, then either sold the play dough as art or used it to pay bills. Merchants usually went along with the ploy, but the Bank of England was not amused and had Boggs arrested for illegal reproduction of legal tender. Said Boggs: “I think they’ll find it difficult to prosecute me over a £1 note that’s three feet high and five feet wide.”

UPDATE: Boggs, free and unrepentant following the conclusion of his four-day trial in November, was right. The jury that heard the case in London’s Old Bailey, where Boggs whiled away the time sketching a £50 note, took 10 minutes to rule him not guilty. Shortly before the trial; Boggs paid a lunch tab in an art-loving Chinese restaurant with a £500 note. Told there was no such denomination, he replied, “There is now.”

Some actors, when they become famous, get their mugs plastered on billboards. Angelyne, a much-endowed but never-employed wouldbe starlet, tried the reverse approach: She had her pneumatic likeness painted 85 feet high on the side of a Hollywood building (June 22). Said Angelyne, 29, who identified “celebrity” as her life-long goal: “I can feel myself getting more and more famous every day.”

UPDATE: Thanks to publicity generated by the $22,000 mural, which was financed by her manager, Angelyne says she has become “even more famous.” In addition to many radio and TV interviews, including an in-depth report on big-busted women by Geraldo Rivera, Angelyne finally landed her first professional acting job—as the lust object of two sex-crazed aliens—in director Julien (Absolute Beginners) Temple’s next film, Earth Girls Are Easy, due in theaters next June.

Last April Steve Newman, 32, of Bethel, Ohio, became the first man to walk alone around the world (March 30). He survived bandits, boars and blisters while slogging 21,000 miles through 20 countries in exactly four years and two hours.

UPDATE: Newman is not content to stand on his feat. This month he expects to end a 1,968-mile, three-month walk across Japan, top to bottom. The stroll is part of a promotional deal worked out between the William Brooks Shoe Co., which provided him with boots on his world walk, and a Japanese importer. “It’s like they said, ‘Three months’ vacation, all expenses paid, plus salary, and do what you want,’ ” says Newman. ” ‘The only catch is, you have to walk.’ ” He plans to finish writing a book about his adventures when he returns to the U.S.

Several years ago, travel agent Rita Rockett, now 31, started cheering up San Francisco General Hospital’s AIDS patients with brunches and large doses of slapstick (March 16). She attended many funerals but vowed not to stop her bedside visits.

UPDATE: The birth of Rockett’s now 8-month-old son, Nicholas, has temporarily delayed her plans to open a residence for visiting families of AIDS patients, but the tap-dancing Florence Nightingale still serves brunch to her friends in Ward 5A every other Sunday. “I’ll give my last brunch when the last patient is out of that ward,” she says. “I can’t wait.”

Calandra Red Bird, 11, was featured in a story about children who thrived, academically or artistically, despite daunting circumstances (Oct. 26). A standout student on South Dakota’s Rosebud Sioux Indian Reservation, Calandra, whose parents were unable to care for her, was raised by her late grandfather, Stanley, and his brother, Willie (pictured with Calandra near Stanley’s grave). The two men encouraged her to love both the old Sioux ways and modern education. Willie died shortly before Calandra’s story was published.

UPDATE: Now living with her aunt, Mary Sue Walking Eagle, Calandra has received many offers of help. A Missouri woman is sending her a beaded dancing outfit, and actor Burt Reynolds has promised to pay for her education at the reservation’s Sinte Gleska College. “There are a lot of other Calandras out there,” says Reynolds, who is himself part Cherokee. “Perhaps other people will also join in to help them.” Still a top student at St. Francis Indian School, Calandra deeply misses her “granddads” and is a bit stunned by all the attention she has received. “I feel like a candy bar,” she says. “Everyone wants a piece of me.”

Larry and Paula Mick of Kellogg, Iowa, were heartbroken last January when they were forced to give up custody of their five foster children: Anna, 12, Amanda, 10, Sarah, 7, Samantha, 5, and Justin, 3 (Feb. 2). The Micks wanted to keep the children, and the children wanted to stay with the Micks, but a judge ruled that the siblings should move to another foster home until their allegedly abusive mother, Karen, 32, who suffers from manic depression, was fit to care for them.

UPDATE: In September Karen Cooper checked herself out of a psychiatric halfway house and moved in with an unemployed boyfriend. Apparently troubled by her continued instability, Iowa Department of Human Services officials have not allowed Cooper to visit her children regularly. The children, now living with a minister in Cedar Rapids, have been given little hope of reuniting with the Micks, who still want them.

Last October, South African Pat Anthony, 48, became the first woman to give birth to her own grandchildren—and triplets at that. The surrogate granny (Oct. 19) brought joy to her infertile daughter, Karen, 25, and son-in-law Alcino Ferreira-Jorge, 33.

UPDATE: Helped by a nanny, Karen calmly presides over the care of her lusty-throated threesome at the family home in northern Transvaal. Grandmom Pat, however, confesses that she’s nervous handling David, Jose and Paula—and still a little stunned: “I can’t believe I carried three!”

Surrogate mother Mary Beth Whitehead, 29, lost all parental rights to her biological child Baby M (above, in the arms of a guardian) when a New Jersey court granted custody to the father, William Stern (March 23).

UPDATE: In August, Whitehead announced she had separated from her husband, Richard, citing the stress of the surrogate case. Three months later she revealed she had become pregnant by Dean Gould, an accountant; they married in November. She is allowed a two-hour weekly visit with Baby M while the case is on appeal. “I will fight to the end,” Whitehead has said. “She’s my child.”

When Northwest Airlines Flight 255 crashed in Detroit last August, rescuers found only one survivor, 4-year-old Cecelia Cichan. Her parents and 6-year-old brother were among the 156 casualties of the second-worst airline disaster in U.S. history.

UPDATE: Cecelia suffered a concussion, a broken leg and collarbone and third-degree burns. After five operations she is well and living with her aunt and uncle, Rita and Frank Lumpkin, near Birmingham, Ala. She has no memories of the crash and is coping well with the loss of her family.

Clifford and Louise Ray’s sons (from left, Robby, 9, Randy, 8, and Ricky, 10, with their sister, Candy, 6) are hemophiliacs, and all three were discovered to be carrying the AIDS virus (Sept. 14). When that fact became public knowledge in the small town of Arcadia, Fla., anonymous callers harassed the family and a parents’ group threatened to boycott local schools. A week later, a fire of suspicious origin destroyed the Rays’ modest home.

UPDATE: The Rays have moved to Sarasota, Fla., where, says Louise, “People have made us feel accepted. Our kids have a backyard to play in, and the neighborhood kids are in and out all the time.” Clothes, toys, letters of support and thousands of dollars in contributions have been sent to help the family. The boys attend a local school. “My Christmas wish,” says Louise, “would be for a miracle for all children like mine—that a cure could be found for AIDS.”

American expatriate Bill Heine (March 2) has a 25-foot shark sticking snout-first into the roof of his brick row house in the village of Heading-ton, England. Heine, a 42-year-old theater owner, said that the finned fiberglass anomaly created a sense of delight and whimsy—a sort of Jaws-that-refreshes. The local city council said it was a Great White eyesore and had to be removed, pronto.

UPDATE: The city council still wants the shark moved, but Heine and his fish have stood firm. “The only home that I would consider,” he says, “is the town hall itself.” His ultimate faith in the shark’s survival stems from an even deeper faith in a British tradition: bureaucracy. Says Heine: “The whole country seems to be built on postponement.”

Greg Withrow, 26, of Sacramento, Calif., (Sept. 21) was a rabid white supremacist until the love of a woman named Sylvia persuaded him to renounce his past. Tragically, the past wouldn’t let go: On Aug. 8 he was found nailed to a board with his chest slashed, apparently the victim of his former gang. A black couple called an ambulance.

UPDATE: After the PEOPLE story, Withrow appeared on Donahue and Oprah and sold his story to the movies. “I feel that the good I’ve done with my appearances outweighs the harm I did in all my years as a white supremacist,” he says. Happily, he and Sylvia, who broke up before the attack, are once again friends.

When the odometer on his 1963 Volkswagen Beetle rolled past the one-million-mile mark last summer (Aug. 3), Albert Klein was awarded a 1987 VW Fox by the manufacturer at a ceremony in his hometown of Pasadena, Calif. Klein said he’d pick up his new wheels later, and—after the celebration ended—tootled home in his reliable old bug.

UPDATE: The 65-year-old architect has yet to claim his new Fox—he has until Dec. 31, 1989—and instead has continued to log an average of 175 miles daily in his Beetle. “I know that car inside and out,” Klein says. “The body may look a little dented, but mechanically it’s perfect.” Klein is now aiming to surpass 1,184,880 miles, a world record set by an Olympia, Wash., man and his Mercedes in 1978. “It should take me four years at the most,” Klein says. “One of these years, I’m retiring. And then I’ll do more driving.”

Prince Edward, 23 and fifth in line to the British throne, broke with family tradition and quit the Royal Marines after only four months of active service (Jan. 26). He was promptly dubbed the Wimp of Windsor by the press.

UPDATE: Edward sought to improve his image last spring by organizing the Grand Knockout Tournament, a televised celebrity athletic competition that raised money for charity. Alas, poor Edward: He was criticized for staging a glitzy extravaganza that should have been beneath royal dignity, and he didn’t help matters by storming out of a post-Knockout news conference. He spent five days in the Caribbean recuperating.

Alarmed by the increasing number of New York City infants with drug-addicted mothers who can’t provide adequate care (April 27), Father John Fagan, 61, began a program that provides love and nurturing to scores of “boarder babies” until they are placed in foster homes or back with their natural mothers.

UPDATE: “We got a thousand letters from people around the country who read the story,” says Father Fagan, whose Little Guys Program has since placed 312 babies in both temporary and permanent homes.

Ryan White, 16, appeared on PEOPLE’S cover on Aug. 3. A hemophiliac who contracted AIDS, he had been hounded out of his hometown of Kokomo, Ind.

UPDATE: Ryan and his mother, Jeanne, moved to Cicero, Ind., where friends at his new high school treat him as one of the guys. His health has also improved, thanks to the drug AZT. It’s a stopgap measure, not a cure, but right now neither he nor his mother is complaining. “It’s like having my child back,” Jeanne says. “He’s eating me out of house and home.” Says Ryan: “I feel good. Everything is fine.”

British churchman Terry Waite (Dec. 22-29, 1986), special envoy for the Archbishop of Canterbury, made headlines by courageously going where less saintly men feared to tread: into the armed chaos of West Beirut, Lebanon, where he repeatedly negotiated with terrorists for the release of Western hostages.

UPDATE: On Jan. 20 in Beirut, Waite, 48, dismissed his Druze bodyguards en route to a meeting with Shi’ite radicals. He has not been seen since, and his fate is unknown.