Rob and Amber’s
THE REALITY STARS WED IN A MADE-F0R-TV CEREMONY—THAT WON’T AIR UNTIL MAY
Survivor stars Rob Mariano, 29, and Amber Brkich, 26, made their alliance legal at the Atlantis resort on Paradise Island in the Bahamas April 16, tying the knot before friends, family and CBS camera crew members. Just about everyone involved was sworn to secrecy in hopes that the upcoming two-hour network special—Rob and Amber Get Married, set to air on CBS May 24—will contain at least a few surprises. Some details did leak. The Boston Herald reported that the couple, who announced their engagement in May 2004 on the finale of Survivor All-Stars (which Brkich won), said “I do” at sundown under an arch of seashells. And Brkich’s hometown paper The Beaver County [Pa.] Times noted that the bridesmaids wore teal. Colin Cowie, wedding planner for Jerry Seinfeld, Sela Ward and Lisa Kudrow, made the arrangements. Meanwhile the couple continue to be front-runners on the current season of CBS’s The Amazing Race.
NICK & JESS
VISIT THE TROOPS
Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey have tossed their designer clothes in favor of fatigues. The occasion? The couple was set to leave last week for Germany and Iraq, visiting the troops with the USO for an ABC television special to air in May. Though security concerns kept specific travel plans secret, USO spokesman John Hanson says they would travel “by C-130, helicopter or some other aircraft,” adding that “they may be given body armor depending on where they go.” As for any star treatment? “It could be fairly primitive,” says Hanson. Wayne Newton, who chairs the USO’s celeb wing, says the couple’s military connection won’t end with the trip. Says Newton: “I’m sure they’ll bring home messages for [soldiers’] family members.”
DENISE & CHARLIE
Charlie Sheen had some one-on-one time with 1-year-old daughter Sam on April 17, and according to a source, it was the first time the actor has been alone with his daughter since his separation from wife Denise Richards in March. (A rep for Sheen wouldn’t comment.) The source added that father and daughter spent the day together and visited Sheen’s parents in Malibu. “He loves Sam,” says another insider. “He’s very attentive to her and always has been.” Sheen’s CBS sitcom Two and a Half Men is currently on hiatus, and the star is not taking on any new work so that he will be free for the birth of the couple’s second baby, due in June. Says a friend of Sheen’s: “He wants to be around to enjoy the birth of his child.”
- Newly Blonde and Blonder
- New season, new dos. Lindsay Lohan—who once told PEOPLE, “I love my red hair”—unveiled a strawberry blonde look at the April 15 wrap party for her upcoming comedy Just My Luck. Lohan seemed a little unsure of her new tresses. “Oh my God, it’s so scary,” she said at the Manhattan club PLUS. “I wouldn’t do it for real, it’s for a movie [A Prairie Home Companion]. Meryl Streep is my mom, and we’re supposed to match.” In other hair news, Sharon Stone spent eight hours in a London salon April 15 and stepped out with 14-in. extensions. Stone was more sure of her change. “Lovely,” she told London salon owner Angelo Georghiou. “Such an amazing job.”
- Bing’s Mystery Bling?
- Wed alert? Multimillionaire producer Stephen Bing—who has been squiring Nicole Kidman around the world since last fall—was spotted picking up a whopping diamond engagement ring from jeweler Neil Lane in mid-April. The jeweler’s reps declined comment, and Kidman’s camp insists, “There is no ring.” While promoting her new thriller The Interpreter the actress told international press, “I’m not engaged.” One thing Kidman, 37, isn’t denying: Her biological clock is ticking—loudly. “I have got hormones running through my system. That is why I sit wriggling, saying I want to have a baby,” said Kidman, who has two adopted children with ex-husband Tom Cruise. As for recent rumors that the actress is already expecting? “Definitely not pregnant,” Kidman told British radio. “Unless it was immaculate conception.”
- EVA: He’s My Friend, Not My Boyfriend
- Eva Longoria is taking desperate measures to keep her love life private. Although she’s been spotted looking cozy with 24 actor Butch Klein, 35—they recently went to a charity dinner together and on another day shared cigarettes during a friendly lunch—Longoria, 30, tells PEOPLE that she is actually using Klein as a decoy to throw pushy photographers off the trail of her real romantic interest, whom she won’t name. Though the Desperate Housewives star continues to be spotted with ‘N Sync’s JC Chasez, 29, and basketball player Tony Parker, 22, she remains mum on the status of those relationships.
BRITTANY’S BEST BOY
“I’m so happy right now. I feel so lucky,” says Brittany Murphy about Joe Macaluso, 32, a best boy grip (who helps oversee a movie’s crew and equipment) she met while filming last year. The couple enjoyed a romantic breakfast in Santa Monica April 15.
HEATH & MICHELLE: PARENTS TO BE
According to sources close to the couple, Australian actor Heath Ledger and his American girlfriend, Michelle Williams—formerly of The WB’s Dawson’s Creek—are expecting. Williams, 24, has been spotted attending prenatal yoga classes in Australia. A rep for Williams has “no information” on baby news. Ledger’s spokesperson couldn’t be reached for comment.
- On the Move
- On April 12, while Jude Law was wrapping up All the King’s Men in New Orleans, movers collected his belongings—including musical instruments—from the Victorian home he shared in London with ex-wife Sadie Frost before they split in 2003. His stuff was taken to his new $5.7 million four-bedroom Georgian home in the tony London district of Maida Vale. Although his fiancée, Sienna Miller, was spotted that day at the new digs, she will reportedly continue to live at her own flat.
Q + A
Taking a cue from Kirstie Alley and Larry David, Tori Spelling just wrapped NoTORIous, a sitcom pilot for NBC based on her life story. (She’ll find out in May if the network wants the series.) Spelling, 31, spoke with Scoop from the set.
Who thought your life would make a good TV show?
It was my idea. For so many years I was striving to break out of the mold of being [producer] Aaron Spelling’s daughter and then of being [Beverly Hills, 90210’s] Donna Martin. And every year I’ve done a sitcom pilot that wasn’t picked up. So I thought, I’ll give the public what they really want to see: my life.
Do you consider yourself a tabloid target?
When I pitched the show, I brought a binder with every bad tabloid story ever written on me. When I was 16, I’d read stories saying I had all this plastic surgery. I used to cry. Now I’m like, “Bring it on.”
You married actor-writer Charlie Shanian 10 months ago. How’s that going?
My husband is the most supportive, wonderful man ever. I always thought because I was blessed with so much, I didn’t deserve a great guy. So I had had a string of horrible relationships, which will be good for the series.
Any plans for children?
We definitely want to have kids. But everyone tells us to wait a year, do things together, travel.
Describe a perfect night with Charlie.
Staying at home, having a bedspread picnic. We put beach towels on the bed, lay out our munchies, put in a DVD, have wine and sit there in bed.
So those reports of marital strife are untrue?
The last two weeks the tabloids have been obsessed with a friend I’ve hung out with at fashion events [Ryan Tasz]. [The paparazzi] are like, “Where’s your husband?” I’m like, “He doesn’t like fashion shows,” and then they take a picture. The funny part is, if I’m cheating on him, I’m not going to stand there posing for a picture.