Makes: about 3 cups Hands-on time: 10 min. Total time: 20 min.
½ cup sugar
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground cloves
¼ tsp. ground red pepper
¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
¼ cup unsalted butter
3 cups pecan halves
1. Preheat grill to 350° or 400° (medium-high) heat. Combine sugar and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Melt butter in a 13×9-in. pan on grill rack. Add pecans and stir to coat nuts. Sprinkle pecans with half of sugar mixture; stir to coat. Cook pecans, covered with grill lid, stirring often, about 6 to 8 minutes or until golden. Remove pan from heat; add remaining sugar mixture and stir.
GRANNY SMITH APPLE SALSA
Makes: 7 cups Hands-on time: 25 min. Total time: 8 hrs., 25 min.
1 tbsp. grated lime zest
½ cup fresh lime juice
1½ cups diced Granny Smith apples
5 cups seeded and chopped Roma tomatoes, drained
1 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1 cup chopped yellow onions
¾ cup seeded and diced poblano peppers
¼ cup seeded and finely diced jalapeño peppers
½ cup chopped shallots
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. coarsely ground pepper
1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl; set aside.
2. Combine tomatoes and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl; add apple mixture and toss. Cover and chill 8 hours. Stir. Serve with tortilla chips.
Makes: 10 to 12 servings Hands-on time: 25 min. Total time: 2 hrs., 10 min.
4 tbsp. bacon drippings
4 cups chopped yellow onions
2 cups chopped green bell peppers
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
2 tbsp. minced garlic
3 lbs. ground sirloin
1 lb. bulk Italian sausage
1/3 cup chili powder
1/3 cup ground cumin
1 tbsp. kosher salt
Ground red pepper to taste
½ tsp. dried thyme
½ tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. coarsely ground pepper
4 cups chicken broth
2 (28-oz.) cans diced tomatoes
2 (6-oz.) cans tomato paste
1 (10-oz.) can tomatoes and green chilis
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. hot sauce
3 (15-oz.) cans kidney beans, drained
1. Cook onions, peppers and garlic in hot bacon drippings in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring often, until onions are translucent and peppers are soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Add sirloin and sausage; increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, until meat is no longer pink. Add chili powder and next 6 ingredients; reduce heat to low and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes.
3. Add chicken broth and next 5 ingredients. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook, stirring often, 1½ hours, adding beans for the last 15 minutes.
DEEP-FRIED COOKIE DOUGH
Makes: 8 servings Hands-on time: 35 min. Total time: 8 hrs., 35 min.
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. salt
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup light brown sugar
3 tbsp. granulated sugar
¼ tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
¼ cup chocolate chips
1 cup milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1¼ cups self-rising flour
2 tbsp. powdered sugar
For garnish: powdered sugar, chocolate syrup
1. Combine all-purpose flour and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter and sugars with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy. Add vanilla extract and 1 tbsp. vegetable oil. Gradually add flour mixture and remaining oil. Stir in chocolate chips. Divide dough evenly into 8 balls. Cover and chill 8 hours.
2. Fill a Dutch oven 2/3 full with peanut oil; heat to 365°.
3. Combine milk and egg in a small bowl. Whisk together self-rising flour and 2 tbsp. powdered sugar in another small bowl. Dip dough ball in milk mixture; roll in flour mixture; dip in milk mixture again. Repeat process with ball 3 times until thickly coated; set aside. Repeat dipping and dredging process with remaining balls just before frying.
4. Fry balls in batches, 1½ to 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oil; drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar; drizzle with chocolate syrup. Serve immediately.
SHARP CHEDDAR BEER BREAD
Makes: 8 servings Hands-on time: 20 min. Total time: 2 hrs.
2 cups self-rising flour
1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup self-rising yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup sugar
½ tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. ground red pepper
1 (12-oz.) bottle of pilsner beer
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
Cheddar cheese slices (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add beer, stirring until smooth. Spread batter evenly in a greased 9×5-in. loaf pan. Pour melted butter over batter. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove bread from pan to wire rack; cool completely. Wrap bread in aluminum foil until ready to serve. Serve plain, or butter and grill with cheddar cheese slices 2 to 3 minutes or just until cheese melts if desired.
Makes: 10 to 12 servings Hands-on time: 30 min. Total time: 8 hrs., 30 min.
10 cups broccoli florets, cut in bite-size pieces
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
½ cup chopped dried apricots
½ cup shelled sunflower seeds
¼ cup golden raisins
¼ cup chopped shallots
¼ cup chopped red onion
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp. orange zest
¼ cup fresh orange juice
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1. Combine broccoli and next 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Whisk together mayonnaise and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Pour dressing over broccoli mixture; toss. Cover and chill 8 hours. Toss before serving.
CHICKEN-SWEET POTATO KABOBS
Makes: 12 kabobs Hands-on time: 35 min. Total time: 8 hrs., 50 min.
2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in bite-size pieces
2 lbs. boned and skinned chicken breasts, cut in bite-size pieces
½ cup white balsamic vinegar, divided
2 tbsp. store-bought marinade for chicken
1½ tsp. salt, divided
1 tsp. coarsely ground pepper, divided
½ tsp. rubbed sage
2½ tsp. Dijon mustard, divided
1 cup olive oil, divided
1 each red, yellow and orange bell pepper, cut in bite-size pieces
1 medium size yellow onion, peeled and cut in bite-size pieces
12-in. bamboo skewers
1. Put sweet potatoes in water to cover in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook 3 minutes or just until tender. Drain. Cool completely.
2. Place chicken pieces in a large zip-top freezer bag. Combine 1/3 cup vinegar, marinade, 1 tsp. salt, ½ tsp. pepper, sage and 2 tsp. Dijon mustard; slowly whisk in ½ cup olive oil. Pour mixture over chicken; seal bag and chill up to 8 hours.
3. Combine remaining vinegar, salt, pepper and Dijon mustard; slowly whisk in remaining olive oil. Place sweet potatoes, peppers and onions in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Pour olive oil mixture over vegetables; seal bag and chill up to 8 hours.
4. Soak bamboo skewers in water to cover for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Drain chicken pieces and vegetables; discard marinade. Thread chicken and vegetables alternately onto skewers. Grill on lightly oiled grill rack 12 to 15 minutes until vegetables are softened and chicken is done. Serve immediately.