300 Madison Ave., New York
Francis P. Harper established his store, the oldest antiquarian book shop in the U.S., in 1881. After he retired in 1910, his younger brother, Lathrop C, succeeded him, changing the company’s name to his own. The firm now is owned by three businessmen and deals mainly in volumes published before 1800. Its specialty: medieval and Renaissance manuscripts.