WHY YOU’RE HUMMING HER NOW: Her vengeful video for “Smile,” in which she retaliates against an ex by tainting his food and trashing his apartment.
• EX STATIC: “Spineless bastard—he told his story [of us] to a newspaper,” says Allen of her former flame’s reaction to “Smile.” In real life the happy-to-shock singer claims she topped that: “I slept with all of his friends, actually.”
• SOLE SISTER: Her new bf shares her devotion to sneakers. “We collect Air Jordans together,” she says. “When he’s in New York City, he buys me trainers and [vice versa].” Not that she wants him to go all Matthew McConaughey on her: “I’m into guys like Philip Seymour Hoffman. I like junk in my guy’s trunk.”
• ECLECTIC AVENUE: Allen says her ska-inflected style evolved from the Notting Hill area in which she grew up. “My friends were of West Indian and Caribbean descent, and their parents were in bands,” she says. While Blondie and Björk also shaped her sound, she’d love to work with Dolly Parton: “She’s an amazing songwriter.”
• MIX AND MISMATCH: “I have to cover up my chunky thighs,” says Allen of the dresses she wears. Her prom look (which inspired her Lily Loves dress line, due across the pond in May) comes with sneakers because “onstage, if your dress is short, you don’t want heels—people can see right up it.”
• GIRL GONE MILD: Allen’s resolution for 2007? No drinking. “When you get up at 7 a.m. to do interviews,” she says, “it’s not good if you stink of alcohol.”