* WHAT’S THE LAST BODY PART THAT GAVE OUT ON YOU?
My knee. My legs are probably next. But I’m working out hard still at age 60, trying to retard age, riding hard [on my mountain bike].
* MRS. BUSH ALSO TURNS 60 THIS YEAR. WHAT’S THE LAST ROMANTIC THING SHE DID FOR YOU?
She said, “Get out of bed and get me coffee” [laughter]. No, she’s having a surprise birthday party for me.
* WHAT’S THE WORST BIRTHDAY GIFT YOU EVER GOT?
The bland tie, the dreary sweater … I’m still hoping for some good ones here, so I don’t want to offend the main giver [gestures toward Laura Bush]. Maybe a new pair of bike shorts from the First Lady is all I would care about.
* ARE YOUR DAUGHTERS BARBARA AND JENNA STILL DADDY’S GIRLS?
As far as I’m concerned. I’m the guy they’re able to manipulate [laughter].
* DO YOUR OWN PARENTS STILL GIVE A LITTLE TOO MUCH OPINION ON HOW YOU’RE DOING?
Mother does, in particular [laughter]. The other day she said, “It’s hard to believe I have a 60-year-old son.” I didn’t say, “It’s hard for me to believe I have an 81-year-old mother.”
* COULD YOU AND AL GORE EVER BE FRIENDS, LIKE YOUR DAD AND BILL CLINTON?
I don’t know. In 2½ years I’ll be a member of the ex-Presidents club. But I’m very busy these days.