*Entertaining, Food, Travel and Home
The winning recipe from the 2013 Wine & Food Festival’s Burger Bash in New York City
SUPER BOWL BURGER RECIPE
12 strips bacon, diced
2 cups diced onion
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 thyme sprig
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1 cup mayonnaise
¾ cup ketchup
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp. sherry vinegar
1½ tsp. Sriracha
6 (6-oz.) burger patties
6 tsp. Dijon mustard
6 slices American cheese
2 kosher dill pickles, sliced
1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy and golden. Drain bacon on paper towels, reserving 3 tbsp. fat. In the same skillet, heat bacon fat and canola oil. Add onions and cook, covered, over low heat for 10 minutes. Uncover pan and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are very soft, 10 to 15 more minutes. Remove pan from heat. Stir in bacon, white wine vinegar, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. Blend mayonnaise, ketchup, garlic, sherry vinegar and Sriracha in food processor. Add salt and pepper.
3. Place burger patties on grill and top with mustard. Grill to desired temperature; top with cheese. Dress each bun with 1 tbsp. sauce. Add burgers and top with the prepared bacon jam and pickles.
The New York City chef shares the treat he’s making for Taste of the NFL’s Super Bowl pre-party
NEW YORK STYLE CHEESECAKE
Makes 36 (2½-in.) mini cheesecakes
2 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 (8-oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
¾ cup plus
1 tbsp. sugar
4 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
½ cup heavy cream
1 tsp. lemon zest
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position. Pulse first 3 ingredients in bowl of a food processor until blended. Line muffin cups with paper liners. Press graham cracker mixture firmly onto bottom of lightly greased liners. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 300º. Beat cream cheese at high speed of heavy duty electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs and yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add remaining ingredients; beat on low speed until smooth. Spoon mixture evenly into prepared muffin cups. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until set.
3. Transfer pans from oven to wire rack; cool 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans; cool completely on wire rack. Cover and chill in a single layer, airtight, at least 4 hours.
4. Serve with desired toppings.
For info on Taste of the NFL’s charity event, visit tasteofthenfl.com.
The celebrity event planner chooses some entertaining accessories to gussy up game day
“These are darling. Plus, your guests will appreciate the ‘no hands in the bowl’ policy.” Drilled Scoops, $12 for 4; sucreshop.com
“This pan will help any Super Bowl buffet table look fantastic.” Wilton Football Pan, $13.99; globalsugarart.com
“I actually have these myself! They make great hostess gifts.” ImpulsiveCreativity Football Coasters, $22 for 4; etsy.com
“These are festive even if they’re not in your team colors.” Textured Dip Bowls, $4 each; westelm.com
“Place this right next to the buffet. I’d put flowers in mine, but I think beer may win this one.” Oasis Party Tub, $49.99; bedbathandbeyond.com