The N.Y.C. chef-who competes on Food Network’s reality show Chopped All-Stars on March 27-shares a healthy Mexican dish
TURKEY CHILI VERDE WITH HOMINY AND SQUASH
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb. cooked turkey sausages cut into 1-in. pieces
1 large onion, diced
1½ tsp. dried Mexican oregano
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 15-oz. can hominy, undrained
1 cup green chili enchilada sauce
½ cup plus 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro, divided
2 cups ¾-in. cubes of peeled butternut squash
1. Heat oil in heavy, large pot over medium heat. Add sausage. Saute until heated through, about 4 minutes. Add onion, oregano and garlic. Stir 2 minutes.
2. Add hominy, enchilada sauce, ½ cup cilantro and squash. Bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until squash is tender, stirring occasionally, 12 to 15 minutes.
3. Uncover and simmer to thicken, if desired. Transfer chili verde to a bowl. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tbsp. cilantro and serve.
For more recipes from Aaron Sanchez, visit laspalmassauce.com.
BROCCOLI & CHEETOS
2 cups heavy cream
3 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. minced shallots
6 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1½ cups grated aged Gouda
½ cup grated Parmesan
Kosher salt, to taste
1¼ lbs. (about 2 large heads) broccoli, cut into small florets, stems cut crosswise into ¼-in. slices
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. crushed red chili flakes
2 cups original Cheetos, crushed by hand
1. Heat cream, 2 tbsp. garlic, shallots, peppercorns and bay leaf in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring until reduced by half, about 6 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Stir in cheeses and salt.
2. Strain sauce into a small sauce-pan. Set aside and keep warm.
3. Add broccoli to a large pot of boiling, salted water. Cook, stirring, until slightly al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain. Transfer broccoli to a bowl of ice water. When cool, drain and transfer to paper towels to dry.
4. Heat oil in a 12-in. skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining garlic and chili flakes and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add broccoli and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
5. Spoon cheese sauce among 6 warm serving bowls or small plates. Top sauce with broccoli and a generous sprinkling of Cheetos. Serve immediately.
A FANCY TWIST ON POP-TARTS
On her upcoming Food Network show Dessert First, pastry chef Anne Thornton whips up an almond, pear and cherry “pocket pie.”
GOURMET JUNK FOOD
Finding inspiration in the snack-food aisle, chefs are giving low-brow treats a culinary makeover
POPCORN ICE CREAM
One of the most popular dishes at Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink in Miami is pastry chef Hedy Goldsmith’s take on the movie theater staple, served with a homemade candy bar.
Atlanta chef Richard Blais dressed up the standard college dorm dish with a soft-boiled duck egg and pork belly on this season’s Top Chef All-Stars.
Adapted from Craig Koketsu’s menu at Park Avenue Spring
CELEBRATE SPA WEEK
From April 11 to 17, spas across the country are celebrating Spa Week with discounted treatments. For a list of participating spas and services, go to spaweek.com
SKIN CARE CENTER
NEW YORK CITY
Visited by: Kerry Washington
Signature service: Mamie’s Customized Facial
Spa Week price: $50 for 60 min. (originally $275)
Visited by: Kristen Bell
Signature service: The Instant Lift Facial-a nonsurgical face-lift that stimulates, tightens and tones facial muscles.
Spa Week price: $50 for 60 min. (originally $225 for 90 min.)
Gwyneth Paltrow is a fan of this product line.
INDULGE AT HOME
Pamper yourself with the NutraSphere Flash Facial exfoliating gel from celeb aesthetician Sonya Dakar. From March 25 to April 25, enter the promo code PEOPLE during checkout at sonyadakarskinclinic.com to get the sale price of $50 (originally $95).
SPA WEEK GETAWAY
Spaweek.com is giving PEOPLE readers an exclusive chance to win a Grand Prize six-night vacation for two on Cayo Espanto, a private island in Belize. The package, valued at $18,000, includes personal butler service, one spa service per day, and more. First and Second prize winners will each receive a $100 Spa Week gift card. To enter and for more details, go to spaweek.com/belize.
The Sweepstakes begins at 12:01 a.m. (EST) on March 23, 2011 and ends at 11:59 p.m. (EST) on April 17, 2011. Must be a resident of the United States or Canada (excluding Quebec) and 18 years of age or older at the time of entry. Go to spaweek.com/belize for the Official Rules. Spa Week Media Group, Ltd. is solely responsible for the administration of this promotion.