Fads of the Year
- Celebrity Poker
- Playing on TV, at casinos or at each other’s homes, Hollywood high rollers couldn’t get enough of the game. Ben Affleck even won the $356,400 top prize at the California State Poker Championship.
Fur Wraps In Hollywood, cold shoulders are a fact of life; still, on the red carpet, Sharon Stone and others embraced this new warming trend.
- Going Brunette
- Brown became the new blonde! Renée Zellweger, Sarah Jessica Parker and Ashlee Simpson all hit the hair-dye bottle.
- Kabbalah Strings
- Said to ward off the evil eye, the red bracelets were worn by Demi Moore and daughter Tallulah, along with Madonna, Britney and Paris.
The Story of the Livestrong Bracelet
Last May, Nike and six-time Tour de France winner—and cancer survivor—Lance Armstrong teamed up to launch a cancer awareness campaign. The plan was to raise funds for Lance Armstrong Foundation programs by selling rubber Livestrong wristbands on the LAF Web site and at Nike retailers. At $1 a pop, the bright yellow wristbands (shown here on Eva Mendez) sold out at stores and also showed up on eBay. Close to 30 million have been sold, and http://www.laf.org still has a shipping delay.
“Atkins” and “South Beach ” became part of the vernacular; “bread” and “pastas” naughty words.
- Pocket Bikes
- Orlando Bloom took a spin on a pint-size motorcycle popular this year (though banned as a danger on public streets).
A ladylike jacket paired with jeans (shown here on Uma Thurman) was a fashionista’s uniform.
- Purse Puppies
- Sure, she’s got a hot husband, but Jessica Simpson‘s latest arm candy is her maltipoo Daisy. Simpson, Britney Spears and Paris Hilton were all spotted stepping out with their tiny pets. Who says diamonds are a girl’s best friend?
- These old-school baubles showed up on lapels and sweaters everywhere, from the Prada runway to Sarah Jessica Parker‘s Gap ad.