The long and the short of it? Straight or curly, sleek or shaggy, these are the styles that turned heads
BEST BED HEAD
Tousled yet tamed, Sarah Michelle Gellar’s do works day and night.
BEST SHORT CUT
Formerly bobbed Selma Blair gets shorn and gets noticed.
Thoroughly modern Gwyneth Paltrow goes sleek and chic.
The beads go on, and Alicia Keys gives an old standard a new twist.
Hilary Swank updates this retro look with longer, softer layers.
If they still had Breck Girls, Courteney Cox Arquette would be one.
HAIRCUTS OF THE YEAR
SARAH JESSICA PARKER
The Sex and the City star was smart to go with this chin-length cut. “It’s more versatile,” said her stylist Serge Normant.
“The layers around her face have given her hair more excitement,” says stylist Philip Carreon, who persuaded Foster to drop the bob. “It brings more attention to her face, and she has such a good face, so why not?”
The Look of LOVE
Ah, romance. In these special cases it puts the glow in the already gorgeous
3. An ecstatic Roberts, who wed cameraman Danny Moder last July, has plenty to smile about.
4. Since stepping out with Harrison Ford in January, press-shy single mom Flockhart appears relaxed and happy.
Are they wearing each other’s genes? No, it only seems that way
1. Benjamin Bratt’s complexion, bone structure and dark hair perfectly match bride Talisa Soto’s.
2. A Beautiful Mind costars Jennifer Connelly and Paul Bettany take it on their matching chins (and noses).
3. Paul McCartney and Heather Mills see things through heavy-lidded eyes.
4. His-and-hers versions of the same face belong to Noah Wyle and wife Tracy Warbin.
5. Cheek mates Scott Foley (Felicity) and Jennifer Garner (Alias) also share lip lines.
The making (over) of an IDOL
JIFFY POP STAR
Just like the magic treat, Beyoncé’s do grew and grew this year. The look seems to be on the back burner for now, though.
THE WIDE WORLD OF BEAUTY MARKS
Cindy may have her sexy mole, Olympic speed skater Ohno his soul patch, but Nelly has come up with a trademark facial trick all his own: the Band-Aid. At first it covered a boo-boo, but when the singer’s fans caught on to the look, he stuck with it. These days, he says, the strip is a symbol of support for a pal who’s serving time.
1. At her audition, American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson, 20, is pure raw material.
2. Hairstylist Sue Seo creates face-framing layers.
3. Clarkson’s wardrobe remains a work in progress with a dress she chooses herself.
4. The makeover kicks in; stylist Joanne Lavin picks the outfit (by BCBG Max Azria).
5. Casual again while learning her fate–”a great idea,” says Lavin.