We already know that Sam Heughan is a breakout star on Outlander, an adaptation of Diana Gabaldon’s best-selling book series. But there’s a lot more to learn – and love! – about the Scottish heartthrob who plays the dashing Jamie Fraser.
Here are five things to know:
1. Great Scot, he was born there! Heughan, 34, grew up in converted stables on the grounds of a castle in New Galloway, Scotland.
2. He’s really a blond. Since the books describe Jamie as a ginger, Heughan colored his hair auburn for his role as the heroic warrior who sweeps married war nurse Claire Randall (Caitriona Balfe) off her feet.
3. He’s a big fan of Munro-bagging. This involves hiking the mountains in Scotland and then journaling about it.
4. He auditioned for Game of Thrones seven times. The actor told Vulture that he tried out for multiple roles on the HBO drama, such as playing a member of the Night’s Watch.
“It’s funny about those things,” he told the website. “You’re up for so many things, and coming from those auditions and testing on other shows, I had more experience, more experience with the process. And maybe I was more confident. I don’t know, something about this one just felt right. This part felt different. I knew this character. I felt a connection with him.”
5. We saved the best for last: He is single!
For more on Heughan and his costar Caitriona Balfe, watch this Costar Challenge: