Lillian Vilchez
October 19, 2016 04:10 AM

After her last relationship left her with a broken heart, Lillian Vilchez focused on her career, but the real estate agent is now ready to find lasting love with Tom Wilson, a yacht interior specialist, on ‘Married at First Sight’ (a social experiment show where couples meet for the first time on their wedding day). The newlyweds are alternating each week blogging exclusively about the ups and downs of marriage for PEOPLE. Check back after every episode and follow them on Twitter: @Lillian_MAFS and @Tom_MAFS!

Guess what day it is!?… It’s Married At First Sight Tuesday! Woo-hoo!

There’s only one more week left before decision day, so Dr. Pepper checked in on Tom and I to see how everything was going and to see how I was doing with finding a work/personal life balance. I’m not gonna lie, it has been a tad bit difficult to stop answering work calls or emails after hours, but I am trying my hardest to make sure I completely stop work after a certain point in the day to dedicate enough time to my husband so he doesn’t feel neglected. During the visit, Dr. Pepper encouraged us to go on a second honeymoon and to use limited technology. I thought it would be a great opportunity for us to grow closer and de-stress a little before we have to decide if we’re going to stay married or get a divorce.

We decided to take the bus on a trip to Key Largo, but I was a little worried because I’d only seen the bus stationed in the RV park, so I asked “Is it going to blow up?” Lol. I guess that was my way of making sure it was mechanically safe and that we weren’t going to break down in the middle of the road, ’cause I know absolutely nothing about cars, let alone buses. I knew I needed to trust Tom to get us there safe and sound, though.

I really had no idea how long it would take for the bus to get road-ready. It took about 45 minutes to an hour, but finally it was go time and Tom started the bus, turned on the vent and that’s when we got a little surprise: the vent was full of insulation foam so when he turned it on, it looked like it was snowing in the bus … and it itched.

I wished it was actually snow, though, because that would have cooled us off since there was no air conditioner on the bus. Tom said the inverter wasn’t working and the bus got so hot! There really was no air ventilation since the windows didn’t open. I was sweating like there was no tomorrow and was constantly making sure we were both hydrated throughout the trip so no one would get sick. Luckily, Tom had a small driver side window that brought in some air.

But then, we get to Key Largo and it was so beautiful out there! I honestly couldn’t believe I’d never been there before. It is definitely a sight to see and I was so excited to start exploring and creating some memories with my husband. We decided to go snorkeling first (I was a tad nervous). I love snorkeling, but there is a certain fear of being out in the middle of the ocean and swimming with sharks and barracudas. Granted, they are nurse sharks and don’t attack people, but it was still scary. Tom did a great job of making me feel safe, though, and I know that if I was with him, I’d be protected.

So by this time, we knew that I need surgery. I had a car accident back in December that caused injuries in my neck and shoulder, so unfortunately I have to go under the knife. It’s been a stressful past couple of months because of everything that comes with preparing for the procedure. I’ve been dealing with pain, lack of sleep, soreness and so many other symptoms and it has been very hard to deal with that and try to keep a normal schedule in every other aspect of my life.

I’ve tried different types of therapy for months in the hopes that maybe I wouldn’t have to go through surgery but my doctor said that my injuries were worsening and that I was at high risk for bone disease in the future. I’d already gotten second and third opinions from physicians that gave me the same diagnostic, so at this point I was just ready to get this surgery done and over with so I could continue with my life. But during dinner that night, Tom asked me if I ever thought of the possibility of alternative medicine.

I have, but I know that it would not help my situation get better. It would only help for pain management. So when Tom pushed the subject, I got frustrated because he wasn’t listening to what I was saying about everything I’d been through with this ordeal and how exhausted I was to continue to live with this injury. He wanted to force what he believed was the right thing to do and I didn’t think that wasn’t fair to me. Yes, he is my husband and yes, I appreciate his intentions, but we still had only known each other for five weeks and this was a decision that had to do with my body and well-being. If anyone got to choose what was going to happen with it, it was going to be me.

I felt that Tom was starting to get upset because I flat out told him that I didn’t wish to consider alternative medicine, so I decided it was time to change the subject to a lighter one and continue to enjoy our dinner and each other’s company. Now, I’m just hoping this doesn’t influence his decision as to whether he wishes to stay married or get a divorce.

Well, I gotta go back to selling some houses…

’til next time,

XOXO Lilly


You May Like