Awards-wise, the 2014 Emmys played out exactly the way most people would have predicted – lots of trophies for Breaking Bad and Modern Family and assorted other laurels for veteran Emmy favorites.
Thankfully, though, we had the acceptance speeches to inject a hint of surprise into the proceedings.
From Aaron Paul’s emotional shout-out to his wife to Julia Louis-Dreyfus‘s shocking kiss, Monday night’s winners proved that they didn’t need a screenwriter or a director to do their best work. (Though some of them, like Sarah Silverman, may have had other kinds of help.)
Watch the five most interesting Emmys acceptance speeches (as determined by Google) below:
1. Aaron Paul, Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series, Breaking Bad
2. Jim Parsons, Outstanding Leading Actor in a Comedy Series, The Big Bang Theory
3. Ty Burrell, Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series, Modern Family
4. Sarah Silverman, Outstanding Variety Special, Sarah Silverman: We Are Miracles
5. Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series, Veep