Mexico is saying “adiés” to the Miss Universe Pageant following co-owner Donald Trump‘s controversial comments about immigration.
The nation will not participate in the international beauty queen competition, 1991 winner Lupita Jones announced Tuesday on Twitter. Jones, 46, is one of two Mexican contestants who have won the coveted crown.
“As a Mexican, I feel very offended and indignant like everyone else; as Miss Universe I think Donald Trump is doing great harm to the organization,” she said, according to a Spanish-to-English translation by Fox News Latino.
“Miss Universe is a contest with a great history in the world, which has been characterized by convening countries to participate in an event where friendship and unity is prominent, breaking down cultural barriers,” she continued. “It’s a shame that because of his racist comments we lose what the competition has promoted and represented for so many years in an atmosphere of harmony and peace among nations; therefore, and in accordance with the statement by Televisa, we will not participate in Miss Universe.”
NBC, Univision and now Televisa have all vowed not to air the Miss USA or Miss Universe competitions after Trump called Mexican immigrants “rapists” who are “bringing drugs” and “bringing crime” to the United States.
RELATED VIDEO: Late Night Hosts Go Wild for Trump’s Presidential Announcement
Trump, 69, is campaigning to become the Republican nominee in the 2016 presidential election.
“I love the Mexican people and have great respect for Mexico,” Trump told PEOPLE last week. “But Mexico has totally taken advantage of the United States, both at the border and at trade.”