From former child stars to young musicians, the 18th season of Dancing with the Stars is filled with an eclectic mix of competitors. But the most interesting may be the casting of Meryl Davis and Charlie White.
Davis, 27, and White, 26, ruled the rink at last month’s Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, winning the gold medal in ice dancing. Now they’ll battle in the ballroom – but against each other for the mirror ball trophy. White will dance with Sharna Burgess, while Davis will shimmy with Maksim Chmerkovskiy, Valentin’s brother, who is back after taking last season off.
The 12 new contestants on ABC’s hit show were announced Tuesday morning on Good Morning America.
See the rest of the competitors below:
• Amy Purdy, 34, is a former Amazing Race contestant and U.S. Paralympic snowboarder who, at 19, contracted Neisseria meningitis and had both legs amputated below the knee. She will dance with last season’s pro champ, Derek Hough.
• Billy Dee Williams, 76, is the singer and actor who played Lando Calrissian in the Star Wars films. He will dance with Emma Slater.
• Candace Cameron Bure, 37, a mom to three, is best known for her role as D.J. Tanner on ’90s sitcom Full House. The sister of fellow former child star Kirk Cameron, she will dance with Mark Ballas.
• Danica McKellar, 39, is another former child star who will slip on her dancing shoes this season. Now an author of math books, McKellar played adorable brainiac Winnie Cooper in another ’90s hit, The Wonder Years.
• Cody Simpson, 17, is an Australian pop singer signed to Justin Bieber manager Scooter Braun’s label. He will dance with newcomer Witney Carson.
• Diana Nyad, 64, is a long-distance swimmer who made Barbara Walters’s list of the most fascinating people of 2013 after remarkably swimming from Cuba to Florida. She will dance with newbie Henry Byalikov.
• Drew Carey, 55, comedian and current host of The Price Is Right, will pair off with Cheryl Burke.
• James Maslow, 23, is the former star of Nickelodeon’s Big Time Rush and a member of the boy band of the same name. He will dance with Peta Murgatroyd.
• NeNe Leakes, 46, a former actress on The New Normal, has also lent her famous face to reality TV on The Real Housewives of Atlanta, Celebrity Apprentice and I Dream of NeNe: The Wedding. She will partner with Tony Dovolani.
• Sean Avery, 33, is a former NHL player who has also worked in fashion and as a model and restaurateur. He’s currently employed at creative advertising agency Lipman in New York City. He will dance with Karina Smirnoff.
The new season kicks off March 17 with Erin Andrews as the new co-host with Tom Bergeron.
Davis and White also will headline the 20-city “Stars on Ice 2014 Tour” that kicks off April 4 in Fort Myers, Fla.