Boxer, ballroom dancer and cook – is there anything Laila Ali can’t do? The frequent host recently invited some of her new American Gladiator co-stars to her L.A. home for a get-to-know-you lunch. To satisfy Wolf, Crush, Titan, Mayhem and Hellga, Ali served her favorite chicken recipe. See their gathering – and her five essentials for a successful party – in the new issue of PEOPLE, on stands now.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
3 tbsp. olive oil
½ cup white wine
6 whole fresh sage leaves
1 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
1 ½ tablespoons whole grain mustard
2 tbsp. “light” (lower fat) butter
1. Preheat a large skillet over medium-heat.
2. Season the chicken with salt, pepper and onion powder. Dredge the chicken in the flour to coat.
3. Add the oil to the pan, and raise heat to medium-high. Sauté chicken for about 4-5 minutes. Turn the breasts over and cook for another 6 to 9 minutes, or until fully cooked through (meat should be opaque with clear juice). Remove chicken and set aside.
4. Add the wine to the pan and, using a wooden spoon, scrape up the browned bits that have collected on the pan. Over high heat, cook the wine until it thickens, about 4 minutes. Add the sage, chicken broth, and continue cooking until sauce is reduced by half.
5. Remove from heat, whisk in mustard and light butter until sauce thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour the sauce onto chicken and serve.