• Jessica Simpson and boyfriend Tony Romo, leaving Al Biernat’s steakhouse in Dallas carrying a bottle of Macallan 21-year-old single-malt Scotch whiskey. Clearly, there was plenty of football talk over their meal: The pair dined with new Dallas Cowboys backup quarterback Jon Kitna and his wife Jennifer, as well as quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson and offensive coordinator Jason Garrett.
• Ashlee Simpson-Wentz, rubbing husband Pete Wentz‘s waist and shoulders in a VIP booth while rocking out to Travis Barker and DJ AM‘s set at the T-Mobile Sidekick LX Launch party at the Paramount Studios lot in Hollywood. The couple – who also hung out with Blink-182‘s Mark Hoppus – were openly affectionate, with Simpson-Wentz leaning lovingly over her hubby’s lap with a glass of champagne in her other hand.
• Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal, having a mellow breakfast with friends at Lamill coffee boutique in L.A.’s trendy Silverlake neighborhood. After both ordering eggs, they were joined by another couple who brought their baby. “They were all very relaxed,” says an onlooker. “There was a lot of laughter.”
• Ryan Phillippe grooving out with girlfriend Abbie Cornish at the jumping Nikki Beach club, set up at the Cannes Film Festival. The pair is in the South of France for Cornish’s film Bright Star, which is being screened at the film fest. Later that night, the couple headed to Hotel 31 for the Belvedere IX vodka launch – and a performance by Debbie Harry, and Cornish kept her arm around Phillippe’s waist during the show.
• Newlyweds Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter, checking out a set by folk-country band The Avett Brothers at The Music Box @ Fonda in Hollywood. “They were very low-key, and just hanging out in the standing area of the theater,” an onlooker says. “They were really cute because it was obvious that they were excited about the show, and later they headed towards the backstage area.”
• Rachel McAdams and Josh Lucas, acting “cute and friendly but not overly lovey-dovey” during a late-night dinner with a pal at New York City’s SushiSamba Park, a source tells us.
• Chris Martin, welcoming wife Gwyneth Paltrow on the patio of West Hollywood’s Chateau Marmont. The Coldplay rocker – who’d arrived first and was chatting happily at a cozy corner table with pals Alicia Keys, who was there with a male companion, and Kate Bosworth – “was thrilled to see her and his face lit up as he greeted her,” says an onlooker. After settling in, the actress – who wore a nautical red cardigan with white stripes and jeans – picked at a salad and the table shared several vanilla berry tarts during the group’s animated meal. There were lingering hugs all around as the pals parted ways at 12:30 a.m.
• By REAGAN ALEXANDER, JENNIFER GARCIA, LESLEY MESSER and SIMON PERRY
Want to see where the celebrity action goes down? Tour all of the Celebrity Hot Spots.