If testing hundreds of beauty products sounds a lot like a dream come true, well, it kinda is. For a third year in a row, more than thirty People and Today staffers did exactly that to find the very best products to hit shelves this year that were worthy of a coveted spot in our Beauty Awards.
After nearly six months of slathering about 506 products and taking copious notes on all, we found 42 genius new finds at pinch-me prices (ranging from a $2.98 miracle smoothing cream for all hair types to a $33.99 wrinkle-flattening serum).
Just as enticing as the awesome price tags was the accessibility: The products can be found at CVS, Target, Walgreens, Walmart and other mass retailers.
Of course, amidst the stand-outs were some obvious duds. And while the formulas may have failed us, our testers’ responses to them succeeded in making us laugh. Read on for a recap of 2017’s biggest beauty busts (no names, to protect the terrible).
10. This is your average spray — and the packaging is ugly.
9. They just don’t do the job.
8. I felt like Lucille Ball in I Love Lucy when she puts on night cream. My face looked bright white and felt sticky. You can’t wear this to bed if you have a partner. Even my dog didn’t want to get near me.
7. When it comes to this $4 product, you get what you pay for.
6. No thanks.
5. The container’s mouth is so narrow, it was impossible to get any makeup out. I was tempted to turn it upside down and let it drip out like a clogged ketchup bottle, but who has time for that?
4. This goes on like house paint.
3. I couldn’t get the holes of this sheet mask to match my eyes, nose or mouth. I felt like a Picasso painting.
2. This isn’t a serum, it’s a sloppy gel.
1. This is a can of air.
For the full list of Beauty Award winners visit people.com/beautyawards and pick up PEOPLE’s new issue, on newsstands now.