“I normally shop from the catwalk,” Chung told PEOPLE at the opening of the new Foundry boutique in Los Angeles recently. “So I don’t usually notice trends.” But she definitely sets them! Here, the starlet — who’s set to release a fashion-focused book in 2013 — shares her five must-haves for fall:
1. A blanket. “You can wear it as a scarf or like a weird haggard old-lady cape,” she said. “Find ones that you can drape. But I’m not talking Woodstock. No towel-robes out there! Pendleton and Margaret Howell do good ones.”
2. Ankle boots. “I’ve got a pair from Church’s, a classic riding boot. They are actually men’s, but they make them small enough for women. Black is good, but I got a wine-colored velvet pair from Penelope Chilvers. I love them!”
3. A good coat. “I like vintage leopard-print fur. But not real fur. I think Wren does a really good one. And they actually do a lighter one because it’s an L.A.-based brand.”
4. A hat. “Marc Jacobs does a nice cashmere beanie,” she shared. “Or I just found this amazing brand at the Clic Gallery in New York called Tracy Watts. Really nice hats. I bought one in purple, which is really unlike me. But they are so classic that I think you can mess around with the color. And they have a really nice caramel-colored one with navy blue piping.”
5. A polka-dot button-down. “But you’re on your own [with brands],” she said. (Our suggestions: a sheer Kardashian Kollection top ($26.99), this colorful creation from Lands’ End Canvas ($60) and American Apparel’s front-tie blouse ($60).)
Tell us: Do you have any of Chung’s favorite items in your closet?