Courtesy Stephen Lovekin/Getty
We’re guessing that you’ve read about Marissa Webb, the designer who wowed everyone in a big way earlier this week with her amazing Spring 2014 collection at New York Fashion Week. And since she was all over Twitter and Insta, we figured you may want to know a little bit more about her! So to help you keep up with the NYFW conversation, here’s a brief bio of the woman who’s ruling the runway — and dominating Fashion Week conversations.
1. She used to work at J.Crew. She spent over ten years there as Head of Womenswear and Accessories Design and then, two years ago, she left to branch out on her own and design full-time.
2. She’s Korean, but grew up in Pennsylvania and now she’s based in New York City. That probably explains why her designs have such global appeal. In fact, her clothes are available in top stores around the world, including Barneys New York.
3. She’s a self-proclaimed tomboy. You may not guess it based on the abundance of feminine styles in her collections, but Webb grew up in Pennsylvania playing in dirt. “I was surrounded by trees and dirt bike trails,” she told Line magazine this fall. That explains why her style is part feminine, part urban chic: “Living in NYC and growing up in the woods, I tend to gravitate toward the mixing of hard with soft, nature with architecture,” she told Lifestyle Mirror in February.
4. She’s awesome to work for. No, really. Unlike some designers, who are somewhat notorious for being a wee bit self-involved (we’re not going to mention any names here), Webb is a team player through and through. In fact, right before she debuted her fall 2013 collection at New York Fashion Week, she said, “I’m looking forward to giving everyone on my small team huge hugs for all their hard work and dedication. I probably would not still be standing without them.”
5. The actress Alyssa Milano is a fan. She Tweeted on Wednesday, “Wearing all @marissawebbnyc today for my press! #obsessed”
Tell us: What do you think of Marissa Webb?