It’s hard to believe Legally Blonde turns 15 today, considering it feels as timeless as a well-executed hot pink shirtdress — and considering the fact that we can still recite the whole Cameron Diaz shopping trip monologue by heart.
The film follows a fashion-obsessed ditzy sorority girl turned fashion-obsessed well-respected lawyer, who proved to the world that brains and great hair can coexist in the same head — a lesson that we at PeopleStyle can get behind. So in honor of the 15th anniversary of the movie’s debut, we’re celebrating the 15 lessons Elle Woods taught us about style, hair care and dating (because who knows how many love connections may have been missed without The Bend and Snap?).
1. Orange will never, ever be the new pink, and anyone who thinks otherwise is “seriously disturbed.”
2. “Gay men know designers, straight men don’t.”
3. The bend and snap. “It has a 98 percent success rate of getting a man’s attention, and when used appropriately, has a 83 percent rate of return of a dinner invitation.” As a wise man once said, “The bend and snap, works every time!”
4. The cardinal rule of perm maintenance: “You’re forbidden to wet your hair for at least 24 hours after getting a perm at the risk of deactivating the ammonium thioglycolate.” (Any [PeopleStyle] girl would have known!)
5. Your sunbathing packing list should always include a show-stopping sequin bikini and fur accessories.
6. You can wear black, but you don’t have to be basic about it.
7. But when it’s your big day to shine, never shy away from your signature color.
9. On move-in days your outfit should be comfortable… enough to direct the professional movers around.
12. There should be no doubt whose pen your coworkers are borrowing.
14. But most importantly, never be afraid of going after what you want.
15. Because hard work pays off in the end. (Bonus 16th lesson: There is no hairstyle that works under a mortarboard.)
Which Legally Blonde moment is your favorite?
— Colleen Kratofil