You watch the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show every December without fail, and lust after the models’ perfect beachy waves (and seriously bangin’ bods). But do you really know everything about lingerie’s biggest night of the year?
Ahead of the 2016 show, brush up on a few facts on Victoria’s Secret fashion shows past and present.
1. You may not think they’re wearing much, but some of these outfits are really heavy.
Once you add in all the gems and wings, they can weigh as much as 40 pounds. One of the bras Gisele Bündchen wore in 2005 had a 101-carat diamond hanging off of it — talk about heavy-duty lingerie.
2. The 2016 show features more models than ever.
There are 52 women walking in the 2016 show, including 18 new faces, including Bella Hadid and Irina Shayk (whom you may know as Bradley Cooper’s girlfriend).
3. This year, the show will be held for the first time in Paris.
It’s previously been put on in L.A. London, Cannes, Miami and, most frequently, N.Y.C.
4. This won’t be the first time a model has walked while her significant other has performed.
This year, Bella Hadid will strut down the runway alongside her boyfriend The Weeknd, who is performing for the second year in a row. There’s precedent for this: In 2011, Maroon 5 headlined the event while Adam Levine’s then-girlfriend Anne V walked in the show. And in 2007, Heidi Klum’s then-husband Seal sang when she hit the runway.
5. This year’s Fantasy Bra costs $3 million.
This year’s Eddie Borgo-designed bedazzled lingerie, featuring has 450 carats of 9,000 diamonds and emeralds, took 700 hours to make. Angel Jasmine Tookes has the honor of wearing the bra this year.
6. The most expensive Fantasy Bra in Victoria’s Secret history never appeared on television.
In 2000, Gisele Bundchen wore the Red Hot Fantasy Bra, which was the Guinness World Record holder for most expensive piece of lingerie ever at $15 million. However, it wasn’t seen on TV, as the first network broadcast didn’t air until the next year.
7. Alessandra Ambrosio and Adriana Lima are tied for the most appearances in the show.
They’ve both walked in a whopping 15 shows for the brand. Lima holds another record, as well: she and Heidi Klum have both worn the Fantasy Bra three times each.
8. The show has happened every year since 1999, except for 2004.
In the aftermath of the Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake Superbowl incident, networks were more sensitive than ever to “overexposure.” An “Angels Across America” tour was held instead, with stops in Las Vegas, Miami, N.Y.C. and L.A.
9. The first show was held in the Plaza Hotel in New York City.
The famed hotel played host to the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show for another three years after that, too.
10. The show’s casting director says personality is very important when it comes to selecting the model lineup.
Since every girl who auditions is near human perfection, it’s their personality that separates the chosen from the rest. “What you’re looking for is who captures your attention, who stands out from the crowd,” John Pfeiffer, the show’s casting director, told Vogue. “If you can’t do it in that room, you’re not going to be able to do it on the runway.”