Like any good social network, Instagram is constantly collating, curating and most importantly , watching — always watching — your activity. The good news is that us mere mortals fall very low on the totem pole, meanwhile Selena Gomez just keeps racking up the followers (103 million to date).
Instagram provided PEOPLE with its year-end data from 2016 and boy, are we excited to share it with you. Let’s take a look back at 2016: Choose the filter, up the contrast and make sure to tilt-shift away all the parts you don’t like.
Some of the Celebrities Who Joined Instagram in 2016:
Pope Francis, the first Pope ever on Instagram, joined in 2016. No word on what God’s preferred filter is yet, though.
Kanye! His first post was a still from Total Recall, which makes perfect sense, somehow.
James Corden, predictably riding in a car, with a celebrity.
Top 10 Most-Followed Celebrities on Instagram in 2016:
- Selena Gomez (@selenagomez) – 103 million followers
- Taylor Swift (@taylorswift) – 93.6 million followers
- Ariana Grande (@arianagrande) – 89.6 million followers
- Beyoncé (@beyonce) – 88.9 million followers
- Kim Kardashian (@kimkardashian) – 87.8 million followers
- Cristiano Ronaldo (@cristiano) – 82.3 million followers
- Kylie Jenner (@kyliejenner) – 79.5 million followers
- Dwayne Johnson (@therock) – 71 million followers
- Nicki Minaj (@nickiminaj) – 69 million followers
- Kendall Jenner (@kendalljenner) – 68.9 million followers
Okay, so the big news was that Selena Gomez outdistanced Taylor Swift in terms of Instagram followers, but do you know what’s even crazier? The top 10 celebrity posts of Instagram in 2016 — they’re all either Selena Gomez or Cristiano Ronaldo posts. Gomez has eight, including the top five, while Ronaldo pops up twice, in slots six and 10. Incidentally, the pair are also no. 1 and no. 2 in terms of “most followers gained in 2016:” Gomez picked up over 50 million followers, Ronaldo over 42 million.
Here’s Gomez’s top post of the year:
But enough about the famous folk. Let’s get into some Instagram #content.
The Most-Used Instagram Hashtag of 2016: “#love.” Eh. Kind of a sad trombone there. I was expecting #RIPHarambe.
The Most-Used Instagram Filters of 2016:
Moon? Really? Where’s the love for Mayfair?
The Most-Used Emoji on Instagram in 2016:
Don’t worry — even in a year that’s felt more divisive and charged than ever before, there’s still three different heart emojis cracking the top 10 on Instagram.
And if you’re looking to join the crowd, you should head to …
The Most-Instagrammed locations of 2016 (based on global geotag data):
- Disney Theme Parks (global)
- Universal Studios Theme Parks (global)
- Central Park (N.Y.C.)
- Times Square, New York City
- Eiffel Tower (Paris)
- Louvre Museum (Paris)
- Las Vegas Strip (Las Vegas)
- Santa Monica Pier (L.A.)
- Brooklyn Bridge (N.Y.C.)
- ВДНХ / Vystavka Dostizheniy Narodnogo Khozyaystva (Moscow)
Lastly, in case you were wondering which was the most popular day to drop a heart emoji on your friend’s Clarendon-filtered selfie at Disney, check out …
The Most-Instagrammed Days of 2016:
- Halloween – 10/31/16
- The 15th Anniversary of 9/11 – 9/11/16
- Euro Cup Final – 7/10/16
- United States Election – 11/6/16
- Olympics (Celebratory posts about Michael Phelps, Simone Biles and Usain Bolts’ big wins) – 8/14/15
- Father’s Day – 6/19/16
- Paris Fashion Week – 10/1/16
- Mother’s Day – 5/8/16
- New Year’s Day – 1/1/16
- Easter Sunday – 3/27/16