Past brand-new royal mothers have set quite a precedent for their baby debut outfits.
True to form, she chose something elegant and modern that nodded to tradition. In fact, it reminded us a bit of the polka-dot dress that Prince William‘s mother Diana wore for his first outing in June 1982.
For the couple’s first outing on the steps of London’s St. Mary’s hospital, Kate wore a cornflower blue Jenny Packham dress with an empire waist and white polka dots. She accompanied it with a favorite pair of Pied a Terre wedges and her signature amazing tresses.
As for the men in her life? William wore a complementary pale blue button-up – and the unnamed baby Cambridge sported a white crochet blanket and another one dotted with duckies.
• With reporting by SIMON PERRY
More on the Royal Baby:
• The Only 5 Photos You Need to See of the Royal Baby
• How Royal Babies Make Their Grand Debut
• See How the World Welcomed the Royal Baby
• What Will Kate & William Name Their Baby?
• Will & Kate’s Road to Parenthood