He’s been with Queen Elizabeth – albeit at a pace or two behind – every step of the way since they wed November 20, 1947.
Now, as the couple marks their 65th anniversary, the gruff, no-nonsense personality of Prince Philip, 91, is being celebrated in a book of his many quips and verbal faux pas. Prince Philip: Wise Words and Golden Gaffes has been compiled by Phil Dampier and former royal correspondent Ashley Walton.
When it comes to the secret to his marriage, Prince Philip has had plenty to say. Here are five of his most memorable quotes from the book on matters of the heart – and the rest of the body:
• “It’s the secret of a happy marriage to have different interests.”
• To a friend: “How could I be unfaithful to the Queen? There is no way she could possibly retaliate.”
• To the Queen after her coronation: “Where did you get that hat?”
• After he and the Queen watched the stripping scene from the 1997 comedy The Full Monty: “Don’t worry, she’s been to Papua New Guinea and seen it all before!”
• After tenor Russell Watson provided entertainment at a palace dinner: “That was magnificent, but why do you need a bloody microphone? They could have heard you in outer space.”