Who needs a palace when Grandma and Grandpa’s house awaits instead?
From the moment they welcomed son Prince George on July 22, new parents Prince William and Kate have signaled their intention to forge a path that is both respectful of tradition and “totally modern,” a close friend tells PEOPLE in this week’s cover story.
For now, they have also passed on hiring a nanny, leaning on Carole and a housekeeper to provide extra help.
“Going to stay with the Middletons allows William and Kate to put their stamp on things,” says Marcia Moody, author of Kate: A Biography, “in a way that makes them both feel comfortable.”
For much more on this story, including a look back at previous generations of young royals and the Kate Effect on new moms, pick up this week s issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday.
More on the Royal Baby:
• The Only 5 Photos You Need to See of the Royal Baby
• How Royal Babies Make Their Grand Debut
• See How the World Welcomed the Royal Baby
• What Will Kate & William Name Their Baby?
• Will & Kate’s Road to Parenthood