Their answers, and some of his actions, have provided the perfect progress report on the 9-month-old prince.
So, what have we learned?
• He’s added a little weight, Kate revealed. Shannon Hunt, 17, noted after meeting the couple at Uluru, “Kate said, ‘He’s been changing so much while we’ve been away.’ Kate also said he grew an extra fat roll while they’re away.” Additionally, the young royal isn’t alone in disliking the long haul. “Kate also said he can get a bit grumpy on the long flights,” Hunt added.
• He has four or five teeth – including two very prominent ones on his bottom gum – which were seen photos of the royal family departing Australia on Friday.
• He’s a loud baby! Ainslie Zakis, 12, was selected to present a gift to the couple at Echo Point in the Blue Mountains, and the youngster said that Kate seemed humorously concerned about their impending visit to Sydney’s Taronga Zoo. “She told me about George,” Zakis recalled, “and said he was very cute but very, very loud and that she was scared he might scare the animals there.”
• He met a bilby named after him – and loved it. “George really liked George,” says Taronga Zoo’s Paul Davies, who showed George around a bilby enclosure Easter Sunday. “It was a fantastic reaction.”
• He’s a grabber. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge wouldn’t let him stroke the bilby or else, as Kate warned, “watch out he will take the ear off!” says zookeeper Davies.
• His first word may be his cuddly namesake, Prince William predicts. “I suspect George’s first word might be ‘bilby’ – only because ‘koala’ is harder to say,” he told well-wishers.
• George took three days to get over his jet lag. William told a nurse at Bear Cottage hospice that George “was a bit jet-lagged and it was a bit hot for him – he said it was even too hot for him so he had to stay in the shade here,” Philly Smith, 44, said.
• He loves sweet potato. At a root-vegetable stand at the Sydney Royal Easter Show, Kate also told preserve maker Diana Lisle that Prince George is particularly fond of the toothsome veggie.
• George loves wombats – good thing he’s got a huge cuddly one. On Friday, the couple conducted an impromptu walkabout and Kate Swan, 21, gave the duchess a book about wombats. Kate supposedly told her: ” ‘He is obsessed with wombats at the moment. He is really into them.’ ”