President Donald Trump‘s high- profile state visit to the U.K. — including his meeting with the Queen — could be put off in the wake of his controversial comments following the London attacks on Saturday.
The political editor of the authoritative BBC Newsnight program reported late on Monday that plans for the visit were being put into the “pretty long grass.”
It followed two days of back-and-forth tweets from Trump in which he lashed out at London Mayor Sadiq Khan as “pathetic” in a tweet. In a bid to calm fears and reassure Londoners about the increased security following the most recent terror attack, Khan had said, “Londoners will see an increased police presence today and over the course of the next few days. There’s no reason to be alarmed.”
Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson rebuffed any talk of canceling the visit on Tuesday morning. Johnson said on BBC Radio 4’s Today program, “The invitation has been issued and accepted, and I see no reason to change that.”
Buckingham Palace, where Queen Elizabeth would host him for a banquet in one of many likely high-profile events, had no comment, as the invitation comes from the government. Over at Downing Street, a spokesman had no further comment beyond what the Foreign Secretary had said.
On Monday, London’s Mayor had already called for the visit to be canceled, telling Britain’s Channel Four News that “I don’t think we should roll out the red carpet to the president of the USA in the circumstances where his policies go against everything we stand for.”
Current New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio has shown his support for Khan, saying that he was doing an “extraordinary job.”