It’s no secret: Brooke Burke has game. The former Wild On hottie tells us about becoming the new face of EA Sports’ Need for Speed Underground 2 video game. “I play Rachel, the main character who runs the underground street racing circuit,” says Burke, who calls herself “an old school gamer. I’m embarrassed to say I played Pac-Man and I still do. My husband (Beverly Hills plastic surgeon Garth Fisher) and I play everything from Nemo to racing games – with our kids too.”
That’s right. The 32-year-old former bikini model is the mother of two: Neriah and Sierra Sky. “My 2-year-old doesn’t play games yet because she’s too young, but my 4-year-old does. It helps her coordination and motor skills. It teaches her patience, and how to have a competitive edge, but deal with losing.” And what does Burke think about this new aspect of her career? “It was the most difficult acting job I’ve had,” she says. “Having to put moods into a still photography shoot so that my character could express emotions like anger, surprise, disappointment and joy was a real challenge.”
Captain Kirk groupie alert: William Shatner is putting out a new album this October. “When Rhino Records asked me to do it, I turned to Ben Folds and said, ‘What am I gonna do?’ ” Shatner, who will also star this fall on ABC’s Boston Legal, tells us. “Ben said, ‘Tell the truth.’ So I sat down and started writing from my own experiences. And he took those words and made them into music.” Expect an interstellar mix of musical styles and guest artists on Has Been. “There’s a rock and roll number with Joe Jackson,” says Shatner. “There’s computer music with Lemon Jelly. There’s Ben Folds, and a great western song.”
Caught in the Act
• Apprentice winner Bill Rancic, enjoying the new all-weather rooftop patio at Chicago’s Sushi Samba Rio. He had dinner with eight guests, then stayed for cocktails. After some female admirers sent over two bottles of Veuve Clicquot champagne, Rancic said, “Someone’s trying to get us drunk,” and invited them to join his party.
• Sheryl Crow, staying at Paris’s Hotel de Crillon while supporting her boyfriend, Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong, hit the nearby Tumi store. She bought 10 men’s leather travel kits at $175 a pop.
• Sisters Janet and LaToya Jackson, stopping by L.A.’s Planet Salon on Robertson Boulevard to get some makeup. After Janet applied blush to LaToya’s cheeks, the pair stepped outside to check the color in the sunlight before leaving with some brightly hued Aveda products.
• Velvet Revolver (and former Guns ‘N Roses) guitarist Slash, celebrating his 39th birthday at L.A.’s Chi with 15 friends, including Revolver singer Scott Weiland and a Marilyn Monroe impersonator, who serenaded the big-haired one with “Happy Birthday to You.”
• By LAURA DOWNEY, SEAN DALY, SARAH PRESTON and MARISA LAUDADIO