When Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey first started dating in 1999, they kept their relationship on the down-low (if you can believe it). Simpson says she knew that Lachey’s 98 Degrees fans weren’t ready to accept that the singer had a special someone in his life. “At the time, girls would’ve thrown tennis shoes at me,” the Dukes of Hazzard star says.
Now that they’ve been married for almost three years (the Newlyweds’ anniversary is in October), Simpson is happy to gush about her man any chance she can get. “Nick brings stability into my life,” she says. “He is the part of my day that I look forward to.” So what’s the most romantic thing that Lachey has ever done for her? “He’s let me grow up,” says Simpson. “He’s seven years older than me, so he’s got to be a patient man.”
Free Association with Dancing with the Stars’ John O’Hurley
• Life after winning second place on Dancing: (Since starring on Seinfeld as Elaine’s boss, J. Peterman) it’s always been “Hey, Peterman.” Now my nickname is “Shoulda won.”
• Best dance-floor moment: I was hosting a Cystic Fibrosis charity recently and a dance with me went for $10,000. Not bad for a guy that almost couldn’t go to his junior prom.
• Dancing: The second best thing that two people can do together.
• Personal goal: I’d like to learn a more portable fox trot so that (my wife) Lisa (Mesloh) and I can have something to take with us until we’re 90 years old.
• Favorite summer vacation: Flyfishing in Alaska. I’ve caught my butt (while swinging back the hook) several times. That’s a common ailment among fly fishermen.
Caught in the Act
• Jessica Alba, holding hands with boyfriend Cash Warren at basketball star Reggie Miller’s 40th birthday party at the W Hotel in Westwood, Calif. Also there: Matthew Perry, Jeremy Piven and Shannen Doherty.
• The Sopranos’ Jamie-Lynn DiScala, excitedly showing off an Alex Gaines blue merino wool cardigan with leather buttons at the Billion Dollar Babes sample sale in New York City. She scored the sweet sweater for half price (it retails for $295; she got it for $165).
• Daily Show host Jon Stewart, having brunch at trendy eatery JLX Bistro in Sag Harbor in East Hampton, N.Y.
• By AMY LONGSDORF, MOLLY LOPEZ, MAUREEN HARRINGTON and KC BAKER