Is it ironic that Leonardo DiCaprio brought his regular pack of guys to the party at L.A. hotspot Avalon for HBO’s new Mark Wahlberg-produced show The Entourage? We don’t know, but we hear the party was hopping, with scenes from the show playing on a big screen above the bar and blaring hip-hop hits to which all the revelers danced. Wahlberg himself held court at a booth and accepted congrats from Leo and his posse as well as Lindsay Lohan, dressed casually in a tank top and khaki cargo pants and accompanied by beau Wilmer Valderrama. Paris Hilton, Nick Carter and friends joined the party around 1:15 a.m.
The next night found Leo out at Shelter, once again accompanied by his crew, including actor Lukas Haas (currently filming What We Do Is Secret with Shane West, a biopic about late punk rocker Darby Crash and his band the Germs). We’re told Haas kept Natalie Portman company for the evening. “I was surprised to see Natalie out at a club, but she seemed to be having fun, sit-dancing at their table and walking around holding Lukas’s hand at one point,” says our spy.
Paula & Randy’s Summer Vacations
So what’s an American Idol judge to do during the summer break to keep from being, well, idle? Randy Jackson has “just been working on some music, and working on a lot of other business ventures,” he told us at the AOL TV Top 5 Viewer Awards nominations ceremony in L.A. recently. For her part, Paula Abdul is launching a jewelry line called Innergy next month, to be sold at Sam’s Club stores and Bloomingdale’s. She’s also working on a kids’ clothing line called Skirtz, launching in September at Wal-Mart. As for Idol’s fourth season, auditions are set to begin mid-August, Jackson says, in cities such as Cleveland, St. Louis, Washington, D.C., Orlando, Las Vegas and Jackson’s hometown, New Orleans. “We’re going to more of what I call American cities, if you will,” he tells us. “You move around cities, trying to really get to the heartbeat of America.” They seem to be succeeding – American Idol led the AOL TV viewer nominations, with five. Winners will be announced Sept. 15.
Caught in the Act
• P. Diddy, Jermaine Dupree, Rosario Dawson, failed Apprentice contestant Omarosa Manigault-Stallworth, Bill Bellamy, MTV Rich Girl Jaime Gleicher, Busta Rhymes, Fat Joe and Spike Lee, at the Virgin Cola- and XBox-sponsored 37th birthday bash for Vin Diesel at Miami hotspot Prive. DJ Whoo Kid, who provided the music, told us that Diesel “wanted me to have a lot of P. Diddy songs, a lot of G Unit songs. He even wanted a Britney Spears song. I went out of my way to bring it.”
• Isaac Mizrahi, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Chloe Sevigny and Alan Cumming, at the opening of Target’s new store in Brooklyn.
• Drew Barrymore, with friends, at L.A. nightspot Star Shoes.
• Elton John, with Ozzy, Sharon and Jack Osbourne, having a lingering lunch at New York eatery Blue Water Grill.
• By KWALA MANDEL, NICK WHITE, JON WARECH, MARK DAGOSTINO and MARISA LAUDADIO