People

Stay Connected

Subscribe

Advertise With Us

Learn More

Skip to content

Politics

Ivanka Trump Calls Dad Donald’s ‘Locker Room’ Talk ‘Clearly Inappropriate and Offensive’

Updated

Ilya S. Savenok/Getty

Ivanka Trump is finally speaking out about her father’s now infamous 2005 hot-mic tape.

The mother of three issued a one-sentence statement to Fast Company addressing the lewd comments that the 70-year-old Republican candidate dismissed as “locker room talk” during the second presidential debate.

“My father’s comments were clearly inappropriate and offensive, and I’m glad that he acknowledged this fact with an immediate apology to my family and the American people,” Ivanka, 34, said in the statement.

Melania Trump has also been defending her husband in past days, although she too admitted his vulgar words about women in the footage were “unacceptable and offensive.”

In an interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper that aired Monday night, the wife of the GOP nominee says that then-Access Hollywood host Billy Bush, who officially parted ways with the Today show Monday as a result of the leaked tape, “egged on” her husband to make “inappropriate” comments about women in 2005.

Melania questioned whether her husband and Bush “even knew that the mic was on” and chalked their conversation up to “boy talk.”

“And he was led on — like, egged on — from the host to say dirty and bad stuff,” she said.

Though she called Bush and her husband “two teenage boys,” she also defended Donald’s comments by explaining, “I know how some men talk, and that’s how I saw it,” even jokingly sharing: “Sometimes I say I have two boys at home, I have my young son and I have my husband.”

In addition to Donald’s inappropriate language, multiple women have come forward with claims of the businessman sexually assaulting them.

Among the women who’ve come forward was former PEOPLE writer Natasha Stoynoff, who said that while interviewing Donald and then-pregnant Melania at Mar-a-Lago for a piece about their first wedding anniversary in 2005, the GOP nominee “pushed” her up against a wall, forcing his tongue down her throat and later insisted that they would “have an affair.”

Donald vehemently denied the allegations last week, saying during a Florida rally that they are “all 100 percent, totally and completely fabricated.”

STORY BEHIND THE STORY: PEOPLE Editor Corroborates Natasha Stoynoff’s Allegations Against Donald Trump

Melania also denied Stoynoff’s account. “The story that came out in PEOPLE magazine, the writer she said my husband took her to the room and started kissing her, she wrote in the same story about me that she saw me on Fifth Avenue, and I said to her ‘Natasha, how come we don’t see you anymore?’ I was never friends with her, I would not recognize her,” she said during her CNN interview. “That never happened, I was never friends with her, I saw her, she interviewed us twice, she came to the wedding, and for that story, that’s it. I would not recognize her on the street or ask her why we don’t see her anymore, so that was another thing like people come out saying lies and not true stuff.”

But PEOPLE Editor in Chief Jess Cagle says in a statement about Stoynoff’s piece, “In this week’s issue of PEOPLE (which hits newsstands in New York on Wednesday), we feature a story that includes at least six named sources who can corroborate Natasha Stoynoff’s account – including one woman (a friend of Natasha’s) who was actually with her when she bumped into Melania Trump on Fifth Ave., as outlined in her story.”