People

Stay Connected

Subscribe

Advertise With Us

Learn More

Skip to content

Politics

Major Party Donors Push the RNC to Cut Ties with Donald Trump

Posted on

Multiple million-dollar RNC donors have urged the party to push out current nominee Donald Trump in the wake of continued controversy surrounding the businessman’s past,  The New York Times and other outlets reported Thursday.

Among the top donors who pushed for the committee to ditch Trump were Missouri business executive David Humphreys and New York investor and philanthropist Bruce Kovner.

“At some point, you have to look in the mirror and recognize that you cannot possibly justify support for Trump to your children — especially your daughters,” said Humphreys, who alone has contributed over $2.5 million to the GOP from 2012 through the spring of this year.

During the same time frame, Kovner and his wife gave around $2.7 million to the committee, the Times reported.

“[Trump] is a dangerous demagogue completely unsuited to the responsibilities of a United States president,” Kovner charged to the Times, adding, “Even for loyalists, there is a line beyond which the obvious moral failings of a candidate are impossible to disregard. That line has been clearly breached.”

He suggested a switch to backing candidates who better “articulate [the GOP’s core] principles.”

Echoed California investor William E. Oberndorf, who has contributed over $3 million to the party since the last election, “the R.N.C. long ago should have cut ties with Donald Trump.”

Oberndorf specifically wants the Trump-loyal RNC chairman, Reince Priebus, out, in favor of a leader that has the “competence” to rebuild the committee, he told the Times.

Many of the donors have stopped giving to the party in the wake of mounting sexual misconduct allegations against Trump, with two — Julian H. Robertson Jr., a billionaire hedge fund investor who has donated more than $5 million, and Jeffrey Yass, a Pennsylvania investor who has given more than $3 million  — even confirming to the Times they’re instead supporting Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson.

Earlier this week, NBC News reported that two other donors emailed the Trump campaign to ask for their money returned.

RELATED VIDEO: Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump Didn’t Shake Hands Before the Presidential Debate


One such email obtained by NBC said, “I regret coming to the Trump support event, and in particular allowing my son to be a part of it. I respectfully request that my money be refunded.”

Trump spokesman Jason Miller told NBC that the campaign is “unaware of any donors making such a request.”

The Times report comes after Trump’s lawyer threatened to sue the newspaper for “libel” after the publication of a piece featuring two separate allegations of sexual assault against the mogul. Trump strenuously denies the allegations against him.

In response, Times lawyer David McCraw wrote to Trump attorney Marc E. Kasowitz, explaining that the publication has declined to retract the article, asserting, “We did what the law allows: We published newsworthy information about a subject of deep public concern.”