LAPD Public Information Officer Sal Ramirez told PEOPLE that officers were called to Trump’s Walk of Fame star near the Dolby Theatre at 6 a.m. PST Wednesday morning, and confirmed that it had been vandalized. Ramirez said there are no suspects in custody and that they don’t yet have a suspect description.
Deadline exclusively reported that a man dressed as a construction worker — who identified himself as Jamie Otis — used a sledgehammer and a pick-ax to destroy the star and smash Trump’s name.
Otis told Deadline that he had intended to remove the star and place it up for auction in order to raise funds for the women who have recently accused the GOP nominee of sexual misconduct.
The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce’s president, Leron Gubler told Entertainment Weekly in a statement, Wednesday, that the organization will repair the star immediately.
“The Hollywood Walk of Fame is an institution celebrating the positive contributions of the inductees,” Gubler said in a statement. “When people are unhappy with one of our honorees, we would hope that they would project their anger in more positive ways than to vandalize a California State landmark. Our democracy is based on respect for the law. People can make a difference by voting and not destroying public property.”
The Chamber of Commerce did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment.
RELATED VIDEO: Physically Attacked by Donald Trump – a PEOPLE Writer’s Own Harrowing Story
Gubler told PEOPLE in a statement in April that “The Hollywood Walk of Fame is a registered historic landmark,” and debunked rumors that Trump’s star would potentially be removed.
“Once a star has been added to the Walk, it is considered a part of the historic fabric of the Hollywood Walk of Fame,” Gubler said. “Because of this, we have never removed a star from the Walk.”